rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

#101037  by seanc
 Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:53 pm
Rusty the Scoob wrote:I think it's really cool that Jack plays those. Maybe he has them custom made rather than picking one off the rack, but either way it's nice to see an artist playing their own $500-ish signature model.
It is a lot more difficult to mod a plywood guitar than just about anything else and get decent if not better results than standard.
I'd suspect it's probably stock.
 #101057  by Phil Lesh101
 Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:48 am
or we could just through the witch into a pile of burning stakes with human Feces :twisted:
Last edited by Phil Lesh101 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #101059  by zambiland
 Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:49 pm
Rusty the Scoob wrote:I think it's really cool that Jack plays those. Maybe he has them custom made rather than picking one off the rack, but either way it's nice to see an artist playing their own $500-ish signature model.
I've heard he plays them right off the rack. He does some setup and if you buy them from him, he sets them up the way he plays them. I've been tempted by these basses.
 #101060  by seanc
 Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:57 pm
eeeeee wrote:
I've heard he plays them right off the rack. He does some setup and if you buy them from him, he sets them up the way he plays them. I've been tempted by these basses.
Confused. What does this mean? Where do you get these and what do they do? I have been considering picking up a jc or a different starfire type.
 #102214  by Phil Lesh101
 Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:40 pm
IM sure it isnt just a normal bass!
But it is a 5 string not sure who made it, looks new
Last edited by Phil Lesh101 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #102360  by seanc
 Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:45 am
nsams73 wrote:Does anyone know the story on the acoustic bass? It has the bass clef and looks like a five string. Who made it?
He was using a dave Maize accoustic..
And I believe he also had an alembic made 6 string for a bit there;

http://www.maizeguitars.com/basses.htm
http://www.demarsguitars.com/news/lesh.html