#102151  by SuperDave

I'm new here so hello fellow Deadheads . Just got a Q tron plus and could use a pic of someones rig and info on hooking up Qtron plus with overdrive ,delay ,Octive div. oc-3 , compressor and an EQ to get Jerry's love ! thinking "Estimated.., shakedown" , or "Don't ease me in " if anyone can be of assistance - thank You :) Further was awesome 7 -30 St Augustine Fl.
 #102153  by JustinJohn

Welcome to the forum!!

As far as getting the Q-tron set right, it really depends on a bunch of factors that are related to the instrument in your hands and your play style. With that said, there are some basic settings you need on that thing: filter set to "up", Low Pass (LP), freq range "low" ... as for the peak, gain, and boost... you gotta tweek it brotha! I have my peak at about 9o'clock, my gain at 12noon, and my boost off.

:cool:
 #102156  by eric

I was just surfing the EH site the other day and in the Qtron Tips and Trick's "Section", I believe it recommends using the Band pass setting. It actually has a little article, as does the owners manual that comes with the Q, on basic settings to most closely replicate the Mu. I was using the LP for a while but now playin around , the BP def seems to get way more "chewy". But as J John said, its all really subtle tweaking to get there and it really depends on your setup to really dial it in.

a good tip from an old JK article posted on here is that you basically want the Q to see full pickup, meaning you have to dime the guitar's volume pot for the filter to open correctly. Also a Kimock article basically states that an envelope is really only gonna sound like money on certain areas of the fretboard at one given time under certain settings, so tweak accordingly to where you're gonna be rippin it . (And this is all assuming you haven't gone the buffer, fx loop , etc route. which solves many problems). So to combat this issue of diming the guitar, I run a volume pedal at the end of the chain going to the pre.

Here's a pic of my pedal board with the routing you are looking for. But everyone's got their own way to rout these, but I would think this is a fairly standard approach.

Guitar> Octave> Q > Dist > Delay> Volume > Tuner ( actually out of the chain via volume pedal) > Preamp. I feel like even by the time I get to the Dist , I'm already sucking tone, so I keep the pedals to a minimum.

#102167  by jdsmodulus

this rig is needing GCX! You will find that with a buffer in the chain the Tron is much more even and will produce better results via true bypass. This has been covered in depth but it seems we are always recirculating info! Hope that helps!
 #102177  by Bear62

Great tip Brad- I have all my pedals racked w/ a GCX Switcher and it is just too much for most gigs (Size-6 Rack Spaces and weight). I have been looking to move to a std. pedal board w/ the looper type switcher for a while. Just seems simpler w/ easier maintenance. Here we go round in circles.....

Gregg
 #102197  by strumminsix

Bear62 wrote:Great tip Brad- I have all my pedals racked w/ a GCX Switcher and it is just too much for most gigs (Size-6 Rack Spaces and weight). I have been looking to move to a std. pedal board w/ the looper type switcher for a while. Just seems simpler w/ easier maintenance. Here we go round in circles.....

Gregg
Gregg, where does your cab sit? Ive found that my cab on top of my rack is actually a smaller footprint than it appears. And definately smaller than say a Twin on an amp stand
 #102198  by JonnyBoy

I found that using the space behind me is easier than having to find more space in front of my mic. As it is, I keep a booster, delay, vocal preamp pedal, and my GCX switcher cluttered around my feet :roll: . keeping the rest of the pedals in the rack is much better for me. Plus, the rack mounted pedals knobs stay set where I tweak them to be during transport/setup. It is so nice not to have to tweak pedals after setting up.

The Qtron is a fickle animal that has no predetermined settings, IMO. If I switch guitars or amps with my qtron it needs adjusting. Almost every piece of gear I use affects its tone in one way or another. It got to be easy to deal with once I put it in an OBEL, buffer, and true bypass setup. I don't have to mess with it at all anymore, and I think I milk the best tone I can from it now.
 #102208  by SuperDave

JustinJohn wrote:Welcome to the forum!!

As far as getting the Q-tron set right, it really depends on a bunch of factors that are related to the instrument in your hands and your play style. With that said, there are some basic settings you need on that thing: filter set to "up", Low Pass (LP), freq range "low" ... as for the peak, gain, and boost... you gotta tweek it brotha! I have my peak at about 9o'clock, my gain at 12noon, and my boost off.

:cool:
Thank You Sir ! noticed OC before Q , mines in the Q's loop but gonna try . Thank You and all . too cool
 #102209  by SuperDave

SarnoMusicSolutions wrote:Or for those who'd like to keep the pedals on the floor and keep things simple yet with the true-bypass benefits, there are a few products like this one:

http://www.loop-master.com/product_info ... 93jt0k9hr4

Thanks , My pedals are waist level for easy adjustment , good fist hit for on/off . please tell me about this or any other devise that can simplify all of it , Thanks
 #102235  by SarnoMusicSolutions

JustinJohn wrote:I put my phaser pedal 'before' my boss sd-1 overdrive pedal (my main distortion pedal). I know it seems counter intuitive, but it sounds better that way. Go figure...
For Jerry authenticity, the phaser would go after the dirt. But I'm with you on this one. Personally I enjoy phaser before distortion. Seems to sound more musical when both phaser and dirt are going, not so overly phasey. I feel that way about chorus too, but I don't often use chorus.

Brad
 #102241  by JustinJohn

SarnoMusicSolutions wrote:
JustinJohn wrote:I put my phaser pedal 'before' my boss sd-1 overdrive pedal (my main distortion pedal). I know it seems counter intuitive, but it sounds better that way. Go figure...
For Jerry authenticity, the phaser would go after the dirt. But I'm with you on this one. Personally I enjoy phaser before distortion. Seems to sound more musical when both phaser and dirt are going, not so overly phasey. I feel that way about chorus too, but I don't often use chorus.
Yep exactly - havIng the phase after the dirt sounded WAY too phasey, no matter how I adjusted the phaser. Reversed it sounds sweet, very musical and totally usable.