Chat about Equipment Info
 #102065  by jeffm725

Good point, Im sure youre right strummin' it is the cardoid pattern rather than brand, although one would probably figure that the same cardoid pattern probably differs across brands as well.
 #102068  by strumminsix

jeffm725 wrote:Good point, Im sure youre right strummin' it is the cardoid pattern rather than brand, although one would probably figure that the same cardoid pattern probably differs across brands as well.
Shapes are pretty similar among brands but yes, they do vary, but nowhere near the difference between styles: cardiod, supercardiod, hypercardiod, etc.

Well if we go much deeper we'll start talking about cardiod being derived from Greek Kardia which means heart and if you look at the shapes, well,...
 #102069  by mijknahs

I loved my EV 767 but I lost it recently at a gig (left without taking it off the mic stand). I recently sang through a Sennheiser 935 and thought it sounded great. Not sure if I want to try a 935 or a 945 or just get another EV767.

Has anyone had experience with the EV967?
 #102071  by strumminsix

mijknahs wrote:Not sure if I want to try a 935 or a 945 or just get another EV767.
I'd get a 767 & 935. With the 767 being supercardiod use it with side monitors, and the regular cardiod 935 with monitors behind your mic :)

Honestly, this is the #1 cause of feedback for bands until they learn :twisted:
 #102073  by jeffm725

mijknahs wrote:I loved my EV 767 but I lost it recently at a gig (left without taking it off the mic stand). I recently sang through a Sennheiser 935 and thought it sounded great. Not sure if I want to try a 935 or a 945 or just get another EV767.

Has anyone had experience with the EV967?
Haha Jim, it sounds like you are about to go through what I just did, in reverse (lose/mess up a mic) end up with different.

Bizarro world here:
Jim on West Coast, Jim loses 767, tries 935 loves it.
Jeff on East Coast , Jeff Destroys 935, tries 767 loves it.

"Us do opposite of all Earthly things! Us hate beauty! Us love ugliness! Is big crime to make anything perfect on Bizarro World!".

"edit: and whats makes this even better, is that you have Strummin in Chicago saying "one of each"! haha (leave it to the heartland to find the balance)

BTW -
A friend has the 967 and Loves it!!! Just a hair out of my price range at 200. The mic kinda looks like a 767 with the top 1/3 shaved off flat! The thinking being that it lets your voice get right on top of the element.
 #102074  by strumminsix

jeffm725 wrote:"edit: and whats makes this even better, is that you have Strummin in Chicago saying "one of each"! haha (leave it to the heartland to find the balance)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
 #102417  by strumminsix

Regarding the Sennhieser MD-421, are y'all using it for vocals? Also, is it the MD-421 II that they are selling now?

I'm really digging the bass roll-off feature that it has and see it as a potential clear solution to many muddy mixes -I have a lower voice and some sound d00ds (not engineers) cannot dial it out or make it sound AM radio!!

Didn't the GD used to use these as vocal mics? At least Bobby?
 #102420  by JamminJommy

They used 'em for vox from 1978 to 1981 give or take a few months.

That said, the 421 is an incredibly versatile dynamic. It has a fairly large diaphragm for a dynamic microphone and is a GREAT guitar and drum mic.

Peace,

Jommy
 #102423  by strumminsix

JamminJommy wrote:They used 'em for vox from 1978 to 1981 give or take a few months.

That said, the 421 is an incredibly versatile dynamic. It has a fairly large diaphragm for a dynamic microphone and is a GREAT guitar and drum mic.

Peace,

Jommy
Thanks, Jommy!!! Question - what is the impact of said "large diaphragm"
 #102425  by JamminJommy

The larger the diaphragm of the microphone, the bigger the sound.

Think of it like this; if you look through a paper towel roll, you only see so much, though you can guess at what the rest of the picture might be. A dynamic mic is like that. A condenser mic (which requires additional "phantom" power to work) is ALMOST like seeing the world unobstructed. Bob Heil makes the largest dynamic I'm aware of, only a little larger than the capsule of the 421. In this case, the Senn is able to get a really big picture without requiring that extra power.

Dynamic mics are specifically "better" for live guitar sounds because they isolate very well (smaller, directional diaphragm). When placed well, this can subsequently approximate that affect of being near your cab, but not in the beam. It get's a fairly accurate picture of your guitar tone without accidentally doubling as a drum mic.

Peace,

Jommy

P.S. A "large diaphragm" mic is often a way of referring to studio/vocal condenser mic. This type of mic wouldn't necessarily be considered as having a "large diaphragm" though it is comparatively bigger than say... and sm57.
 #102432  by strumminsix

Thanks, Jommy! I've got a lead on a dude who owns 2 who will lend me one for a few days, maybe :)

Now to try and remember what the GD used in the late 80s/90s as they look very similar :) anyone know?
 #102448  by tcsned

I had a buddy who owned a studio and he referred to the 421 as the "Barry White" mic because they accentuate lows really well. The larger diaphragm picks up lows better though is sometimes not the best for female or high pitched male vocals. The vocal mics we use are the AT4055s and they are a large diaphragm hand-held condenser mic. Same diaphragm as the AT4050
 #102450  by JamminJommy

tcsned wrote:I had a buddy who owned a studio and he referred to the 421 as the "Barry White" mic because they accentuate lows really well. The larger diaphragm picks up lows better though is sometimes not the best for female or high pitched male vocals.
That's why they worked so well for Jer's tone. That big JBL put it tons of lows even with the bass turned all the way off, but it's a different type of low frequency (a non "mud" low end). The 421 was able to catch all those high's without making the tone sound any more squelched and spanky than it already did.

Strum, if you can ever find the re-branded "Telefunken" 421 (it comes in chrome!) it's a fun piece to have.

Peace,

Jommy
 #102488  by jeffm725

I used a 35 year old Sennheiser 421 the other night with Shakedown (the night Dan filled in on bass, the guy doing sound has a couple of the OLD ones). First time I had used one as a vox mic, it sounded FANTASTIC to my ears (the vocal quality, not the vocals themselves.. :oops: )