#101990  by Kennay

Just curious if that information is available. I know he was using Fender extra heavy in 78. I`ve been digging his tones from Go To Nassau and Dick`s Picks Nassau 81`s shows. The Cassidy from DP`s sounds like he`s blowing a horn. Wonder if it`s the Dual Sounds? Are they the exact same pickup as Super 2`s are now? Thanks in advance for any insight.
 #102021  by mijknahs

I'm pretty sure it's the Adamas pics in the 1981 Germany video. Not sure exactly when he started using them.

Dual Sounds in 1981. Maybe even a lot in humbucking mode. They are the exact same pickup as the Super Distortion now since they added the 4-conductor wiring to the Super Distortion. Originally Super Distortions were 2-conductor only and the Dual Sound was the 4-conductor version. Now they are the same but still sell them under different names.

The Super II is a totally different pickup EQ. Jerry started using those in 1982. Mostly split coil mode.
 #102022  by playingdead

I thought the Dual Sounds appeared with Wolf in late 78 and were installed in the Tiger guitar in August of 79 until he went with the Super II for the spring 82 tour.
 #102024  by playingdead

Misread you ... LOL

One of my favorite eras for his guitar tone, so fat and sassy. I saw a lot of shows between 79 and 81, including a few of the Radio City run, and the 80 Go To Nassau run and 81 Nassau run as well. I've thought about putting a Dual Sound in my Walker guitar.
 #102027  by playingdead

Well, I might envy you because you are probably younger than I am, too ...

My first was Giants Stadium, 9-2-78. I saw dozens and dozens of shows through 1985, but then just three in 88, six in 91, one in 94 and one in 95. So I'm pretty biased toward those early Brent years and that ripping Tiger tone when The Fat Man was rocking.

And, boy was he fat back then.

#102029  by mijknahs

I discovered the Dead around '84 (I was about 16) and saw shows from '85-'89 and started thinking they weren't what they used to be. Then I saw no shows in the 90's until one in '94 and one in '95.

It was those tapes from the early '80s (especially '81 and '82) that really got me into them and that's still what I think is the best. I wish I saw some of those shows... The scene seemed a lot different too (more underground, low key, etc.)

Jim
 #102032  by TI4-1009

My first "show" was Woodstock :-) . Charter member of the AOD (Ancient Order of Deadheads). Had to see Pig live to qualify.
 #102055  by keirweir

I envy all of you... I saw one show High Gate 95... Borderline funeral although Ramble on rose, Black Throated and SOTM were good. I was only 16 at the time too... I was so young and dumb, I don't even know what guitar he was using... I ran out of money 2 minutes after getting out of my car too ;-)

Adamas picks are quit simply the best no matter what your playing!
 #102058  by mijknahs

Yes. Getting back to Adamas picks...

I'm pretty sure he was using them by '80/'81. If you like the Go to Nassau sound get some Dual Sounds (or Super Distortions - indentical now) and some Adamas picks. You'll like it. Try experimenting with humbucking mode as well.
 #102076  by Kennay

Thanks All! Yup....I own 3 Adamas picks. A thoughtful Christmas gift from deadaheadnh. I can`t believe I`ve been playing with the same pick for 8 months and I have`nt lost it. My first thought at a gig is always, "where`s that pick"?
I was mistaken in thinking that Dual Sounds where the same as Super 2`s. Thanks for setting that straight mijknahs! Gotta keep feeding that GAS. A hundster here a hundster there. Always one last thing then it`ll be exactly perfect!
Maybe I should learn how to play guitar!
 #102077  by mijknahs

USBLUES wrote:I have a jerry caster with two supers twos and one dual sound, the dual is in the Bridge,......where would you guys put the dual sound? And yes it sounds different, more metal-ish to me
The bridge is a good place for it since they aren't quite as bright as the Super2 but you might really like it in the middle position.