#101984  by Rusty the Scoob

Phil Lesh101 wrote:How do you Pluck like Phil? :shock:
Should be a different thread IMHO. But here's what works for me:

Early years - play over the neck pickup

Later years - play over the bridge pickup, with the pick more parallel to the strings.
 #101987  by hotasaPistol

Talk to his wife or ex women............oops...........I thought you said F##k like Phil
:lol: :smile: :smile: :smile:
 #103374  by Chasing Light Beams

krzykat wrote:for different time signatures there is a different rhythm right? I'm just trying to get a better understanding of that, and applying it in a syncopated way
learn reggae!! it's simple music but the rhythm is complex. every player has a different little space they play in. good album for listening... the wailers talkin' blues.
but grateful dead related rhythm... i think jerry parts a pretty easy to learn, especially when he's singing. like pete b said, learn and imitate. i did most of my learning just playing with my stereo.
what of bobby? i'm still working on bobby. or maybe he's working on me.
here's a bob heavy mix from 68. mmmmm, '68!
http://www.archive.org/details/gd1968-0 ... ok.flac16
 #106996  by jjbankhead

I concur with the idea of positioning your arm on the guitar, not planting, to where you can use your forearm as a guide. It is a greta starting point and i think as you get better at strumming you will eventually get away from relying on it ALL THE TIME and learn to fluctuate positions for strumming, fills, and leads.

I am not as seasoned as most of the guitar gurus here on the sight and i am not far removed from having a similar question as the original poster's.

this is my first vidoe share here on the forum and believe you me i am not ecstatic about exposing my weaknesses :-)

this is how i play the intro to UJB, the strumming pattern is down/ downup/ down down/ down up...

I do get a little lazy and tend to rest my arm on the geetar at times, but i found this position to be the best for me to keep time and be flexible with alternating strumming patterns.

http://youtu.be/w_VN1dBKang