#101460  by ugly rumor

Phil Lesh101 wrote:Im not looking to get a phil tone out of my amp im looking to get a tone for me, the tone doesnt need to be changed, Thats not what im looking for, i am looking to... Boost my High and maybe boost a tad on the low.

All rack tuners are fairly Expensive But i see this tuner Easy on my wallet, but as soon as it breaks im off to a new Brand! :lol:
Quite the way it should be. "For your steps alone". As many here know, I am very much a proponent of creating your own sound and contributing to the music with your own vision. In other words, don't let anyone else determine who you should be as a musician. It is good to know other perspectives, but it should all contribute to who you are, not determine it. If it is good, it will shine through; if not, you will fall on your own. Just like life, it is yours to live as you will, and hopefully not as someone else determines it should be before you.

Hope to hear you one day.
 #101468  by seanc

Rusty the Scoob wrote:The Midi controller doesn't look like something I need, but I'm a sucker for SWR gear and looking to get into a pre-amp/poweramp setup. Where do you live again?
This is the preamp SWR later copied for use in their gear. But this is a Groove Tubes pre. My understanding is that this was hand wired and some have said, sounds better than the comparable SWR set up.

I am in northbridge.
 #101479  by Rusty the Scoob

SWR claims they manufactured them for Groove Tubes and I believe it. It sure looks like a rebadged SM400, presumably without the power section. I'm not surprised that it sounds better than the later products.

Scroll down about 1/4 of the way and you'll find the preamp section. This is one of the first hits on Google.

http://www.swrsound.com/support/vintage.php

Northbridge is not far from Concord and it's an easy ride. Please hang a "Sold" tag on that for me!
 #101485  by seanc

Interesting.. It sounds like I was misinformed. Could have sworn at the time the GT people said they made them and SWR eventually took it over..

But everything I see now says SWR actually made/ licensed it to GT..
 #101630  by seanc

If you do actually want this let me know.. I was going to take some pics and start posting it on different places for sale..

as I plan on taking pics. Just let me know if there are any specifics shots you'd like to see..
 #101639  by seanc

Ok... Just PM me.. It works fine (I will hook it up and make sure first, of course).
As I have switched around a bunch of gear, I just need to figure a way to hook it up to let you hear it.
 #101649  by RiverRat

Rusty the Scoob wrote::? What era did he use it? Got any pics?
Mid 80's thru the 90's...

1986:

1988:

Top of the rack.

1991:

#101775  by seanc

Phil Lesh101 wrote:What is so good about this Pre-amp?
It must be good! Because you have Scoob Going Bananas over it! :lol:
It's as much about what it ISN'T as about what it is. All of the dead people have always been serious audiophile gear heads. The over riding philosophy of all this has always been to get the best most transparent signal and sound possible. if the starting point is that Tone comes from the player 1st and the instrument 2nd then all you really want is to make that (the player and instrument) louder. It is also useful as the sound the player hears is the exact same sound that is being fed to the board and then out to the people.

What that means, in practice, is that the vast majority of their gear doesn't "SOUND like" anything. The Gas Amps/ Macs etc, are high wattage/ huge headroom class A type amps that give tons of power but have very little coloration of the sound. JBLs have always been known for coloring the sound much less than other speakers..

This preamp is very similar. While it does have tone controls, the "sound" of it flat is extremely transparent, only really imparting a bit of tube warmth to the signal. Using the tone/ parametric sparingly it really allows you to hear the Sound of the bass, and the tone from the player. Comparing it to a GK or say an Ampeg, that has a very distinct character it is night and day.