Talk about the recent Tours
 #101389  by vwjodyme

I couldn't find the old thread about Bobby's volume being turned way down so am starting a new one.
Not sure if it was the same at other stops, but bobby was turned way up at great woods. I would say as loud as JK and everyone else. I was very surprised and pleased. He seemed to be playing very well and didn't fiddle with any knobs or pedals from what I saw (i was in the way back).
 #101390  by strumminsix

Great news! The thought of that reminds me of some hot 74 and 76 shows with a clear Bobby and Keith and sweet bubbly volumes!!
 #101395  by studied_4_acid_test

I was at Philly on the 23rd. For those who don't know the venue has a stage with a very tall inside section (It has a walkway with a view of the stage that runs along the top of the inside section. I was right outside this enclosed section and my initial reaction was that the overall band volume was very low. I couldn't FEEL the music hit me in the gut y'know? Phil was at a perfect volume. I don't think JK had enough space in the mix. I thought he got slightly buried beneath everything else that was going on. I thought Bobby was dialed in where he needed to be....subtle when necessary, but at the same time quite able to cut through. Just my take on things.
 #101399  by Stevo123

I think at times Phil can get a bit "big" in the low-mid range, sometimes compounded by a bit too much bass in the keys as well, and this ends up causing problems. It's usually pretty good, I mean, way better balance than most live acts around on average, but certain shows it's noticeable that either Bob or JK can be a bit under-pronounced. Sometime's it's just certain parts of the venue as well. With the complexity of the way the sound bounces around, especially indoor venues, sometimes you can step 10 feet to your left or right and you get a much different balance.
 #101469  by verbenco

strumminsix wrote:Great news! The thought of that reminds me of some hot 74 and 76 shows with a clear Bobby and Keith and sweet bubbly volumes!!
it is amazing that you can recall who had volume where way back then , but what i do remember is that shows with Keith and Donna Godchaux were, as i recall some of the best dead shows i ever attended. I am envious that you remember so much. to me all of those shows seem now like an amalgamation of a single show or era. back in those days i believed that whatever the configuration of the band, it was simply an extension of what came before. Looking back i now see how the different configurations and band members fit into a long running, strange narrative, but then i assumed that whatever was on -stage was what was supposed to be on stage and if there was something new it was because the new thing (or person) was on stage because that was the way it was supposed to be. I think it was about that time that i thought the New Riders of the Purple Sage were more a part of the band than a warm-up act. Anyway "sweet bubbly volumes" seems a good description of things long forgotten by me. it is a little ego deflating to find folks with memories so much better than mine, but i can give up a little ego if it means i can be reminded of such great moments.
 #101473  by strumminsix

verbenco wrote:
strumminsix wrote:Great news! The thought of that reminds me of some hot 74 and 76 shows with a clear Bobby and Keith and sweet bubbly volumes!!
it is amazing that you can recall who had volume where way back then ,
...... it is a little ego deflating to find folks with memories so much better than mine, but i can give up a little ego if it means i can be reminded of such great moments.
Don't let it be. I was talking about recordings, my friend! Sorry for lack of clarity.
 #101476  by verbenco

thanks for replying so quickly. i had, in fact begun to doubt my own memory, but of course recordings and videos can help. I should have figured that out in the first place, but my head was in an odd spot when i wrote the reply. meanwhile i think i have a bunch of recorded concerts from that era and will listen to them between now and early evening. it does not take much for me to get in mood to listen the these, and even if i start out "not in the mood" it takes very little to put me into a "dead" frame of mind. funny how that all works out.
 #101484  by strumminsix

verbenco wrote:thanks for replying so quickly. i had, in fact begun to doubt my own memory, but of course recordings and videos can help. I should have figured that out in the first place, but my head was in an odd spot when i wrote the reply. meanwhile i think i have a bunch of recorded concerts from that era and will listen to them between now and early evening. it does not take much for me to get in mood to listen the these, and even if i start out "not in the mood" it takes very little to put me into a "dead" frame of mind. funny how that all works out.
LOL! We've all been there, man!