#101089  by seanc

Stone wrote:I have some "Phil Modded" power conditioners and LeshMaximixers id be willing to let go....cheap too. If anyone else is assembling a bass rack. :D :D
What exactly are these?
 #101096  by brbadg

These are items that only trolls will be confused by. For those of us who actually enjoy this forum,they don't exist.
Now that the troll is being exposed,I hope he will disappear.
 #101097  by Phil Lesh101

brbadg wrote:These are items that only trolls will be confused by. For those of us who actually enjoy this forum,they don't exist.
Now that the troll is being exposed,I hope he will disappear.
Are you saying That you like this Thread? or that these people dont? :lol:
 #101385  by tigerstrat

fwiw, Jimmy Tebeau from The Schwag, and (for the last 2 years) Melvin Seals & JGB has used a GK head ever since... well at least since before I met him about 12 years ago. I don't know if he totally nails it with that amp, but I'm sure I wouldn't go as far as to say "a very specifically non Phil sound".
 #101400  by seanc

Phil Lesh101 wrote:I'm picking up A Pyle PPEQ100 Dual Band Equalizer, :shock:
Why?

From a quick google search (if this is correct), it appears to be a Stereo (hi-fi) EQ. Is the eq in the GK not sufficient? Do you intend to run the preamp out of the GK, split the signal into 2 RCA connectors and then run the RCAs out to 2 separate power amps?

I really think you are going about this the wrong way. The idea is not to buy gear and then just shove it into a rack hoping to make a good sound out of a bunch of parts. You need to listen to what you have, understand what it's capabilities are, and then depending on specific needs or deficiencies buy the correct units to alter the sound to what you need. It does not appear you are doing that.

If you use a different EQ on the GK head, it is still going to sound like a GK amp (and probably way too radical EQ with ridiculously high bands of certain frequencies). There is no EQ that is going to make your sound into anything other than a GK head and whatever bass you are using.
 #101402  by Rusty the Scoob

Agree with Sean - I've had various 32-band EQs in my rig before and never found them all that helpful.
tigerstrat wrote:fwiw, Jimmy Tebeau from The Schwag, and (for the last 2 years) Melvin Seals & JGB has used a GK head ever since... well at least since before I met him about 12 years ago. I don't know if he totally nails it with that amp, but I'm sure I wouldn't go as far as to say "a very specifically non Phil sound".
I would go so far as to say that. I can put my iPod on shuffle on my $50 clock radio and pick his tone out instantly even if I'm in a different part of the house.
 #101407  by seanc

Rusty the Scoob wrote:Agree with Sean - I've had various 32-band EQs in my rig before and never found them all that helpful.
tigerstrat wrote:fwiw, Jimmy Tebeau from The Schwag, and (for the last 2 years) Melvin Seals & JGB has used a GK head ever since... well at least since before I met him about 12 years ago. I don't know if he totally nails it with that amp, but I'm sure I wouldn't go as far as to say "a very specifically non Phil sound".
I would go so far as to say that. I can put my iPod on shuffle on my $50 clock radio and pick his tone out instantly even if I'm in a different part of the house.
I have found that EQs, over all, are just a fantastic way to dial in a really really awful sound. If they were calibrated such that the max +/- was some where in the +/- 3db range they might be somewhat useful. But, generally you have @ 1" from flat to 10, and there is @ an 18db boost/ cut (if every 3db is a doubling of sound) so max is (theoretically 64x louder/ softer). far too great a range to dial in usefulness in my experience.
 #101408  by RiverRat

Phil Lesh101 wrote:I'm picking up A Pyle PPEQ100 Dual Band Equalizer, And A Behringer BTR2000 Rack mount tuner Good Stuff? :shock:
Avoid Behringer like the plague... There stuff isn't quality and it's definitely no built to last.
 #101419  by Phil Lesh101

Im not looking to get a phil tone out of my amp im looking to get a tone for me, the tone doesnt need to be changed, Thats not what im looking for, i am looking to... Boost my High and maybe boost a tad on the low.

All rack tuners are fairly Expensive But i see this tuner Easy on my wallet, but as soon as it breaks im off to a new Brand! :lol:
 #101436  by seanc

Phil Lesh101 wrote:Im not looking to get a phil tone out of my amp im looking to get a tone for me, the tone doesnt need to be changed, Thats not what im looking for, i am looking to... Boost my High and maybe boost a tad on the low.

All rack tuners are fairly Expensive But i see this tuner Easy on my wallet, but as soon as it breaks im off to a new Brand! :lol:
it's your money. if your GK doesn't have a bass and treble knob, then you'd probably need some sort of EQ.
 #101439  by strumminsix

Phil Lesh101 wrote:. Boost my High and maybe boost a tad on the low.
What your are describing there is called "scooped mids" try bossing highs and lows while dropping your midrange. Personally, I've found amps with hi-mid and low-mid pots really good for that setup.

Like this: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gallien-Kru ... 1518260.gc#
 #101442  by Rusty the Scoob

My GK head is at least 15 years old and has a great 4-band EQ... lows, low mid, high mid, and highs. I can't imagine that they've dropped that feature. I think the newer ones even have a specific mid-scoop knob, mine has just a pushbutton for an on/off filter.

I agree on Behringer's lack of quality... but a broken rack tuner isn't going to ruin a gig, so in that case I'd give it a shot.
 #101445  by seanc

Rusty the Scoob wrote:My GK head is at least 15 years old and has a great 4-band EQ... lows, low mid, high mid, and highs. I can't imagine that they've dropped that feature. I think the newer ones even have a specific mid-scoop knob, mine has just a pushbutton for an on/off filter.

I agree on Behringer's lack of quality... but a broken rack tuner isn't going to ruin a gig, so in that case I'd give it a shot.
There does not seem to be a lot that can go wrong with a tuner. And as long as you don't have it in a loop in/out any noise will not affect the sound.

I am still confused about the EQ though, I just don't see it being very useful..
 #101449  by seanc

101. Why don't you just buy my GT studio bass pre amp. It is the same one that Phil used for a LONG time. If that is THE sound you are looking for this is it. It is used and has seen some use, But I'd do it for $400 to put towards EEEEE's starfire.