#101162  by seanc

All, Need a bit of help on this. I have been thinking about putting together something starfire-ish.
But, I am really not sure where to start. I had one of the deArmonds for a while and it was just really lacking. Played well, sounded good. But just was not "there". I sold it off. I didn't think about it for a while, started thinking about out and looking into it and found out that DeArmond is gone. And also, that everybody put the darkstars in and all of a sudden they became god like..

Well, I obviously screwed up and missed the boat.

So, I checked out a 2001(?) Guild at a place locally $2000! It also seemed like a longer scale than the deArmond? WOW. Ouch! no way. And it was just lacking too..

So, Any ideas? Start off with the Jack Casady? Ibanez art core? Gretsch (tried one, actually pretty nice)?
Thanks!!!!
 #101163  by caspersvapors

that guild is way overpriced, I remember I posted about guild starfires a couple months ago and the consensus was around $1000 for newer guilds is typical (though you can probably find it for less). you can find original guild starfires for less than 2k

335s are generally expensive but 339s can be had for $1500 or less used. Ive never played one but Ive always thought the smaller body of the 339 was way cooler looking.

i have a limited edition epiphone riviera that is a really fantastic guitar. only $420
 #101169  by seanc

I was getting a bit confused there too...
I guess my fault for not being specific enough. Yes, this is a bass related thread.. Guild Starfire BASS..
 #101177  by Rusty the Scoob

seanc wrote:All, Need a bit of help on this. I have been thinking about putting together something starfire-ish.
But, I am really not sure where to start. I had one of the deArmonds for a while and it was just really lacking. Played well, sounded good. But just was not "there". I sold it off. I didn't think about it for a while, started thinking about out and looking into it and found out that DeArmond is gone. And also, that everybody put the darkstars in and all of a sudden they became god like..
That statement in bold is 100% true. MYoung6923's girlfriend nicknamed mine Godzilla for a reason. :lol:

I don't have much experience with other semi-hollow basses, but I believe that the scale length is very important.

Here's one interesting budget option. A friend of mine - the same one who originally modded my DeArmond and then sold it to me - is having fun working on one of these: http://www.rondomusic.com/product2942.html The sound clips I've heard have been promising.
 #101181  by seanc

That does look promising.. It probably IS the DeArmond with a bit different configuration. As they all come out of the same factories, it's hard to really know who actually makes what.
 #101189  by Rusty the Scoob

jackevorkian wrote:What about an Epi Rivoli? I have an old one that seems like it could be great with some new electronics. I think they are making new ones that are reasonably priced.
That's the name.. I couldn't think of it this morning. I was looking for a good project-condition Rivoli when my DeArmond fell into my lap. It probably is all the same factory, who knows. the Guild forum might have more info... I know my DeArmond is from the era when Fender owned them, made in Korea according to the sticker on the headstock.

Fred has always been hard to reach... my understanding is that he is still making Dark Stars but quietly and not in the same quantities as he used to. Glad I got my second pair when I did! I'd eventually like just one more to make myself a Tractor in case some serious ABB gigs ever come my way.
 #101200  by seanc

Rusty the Scoob wrote:
jackevorkian wrote:

Fred has always been hard to reach... my understanding is that he is still making Dark Stars but quietly and not in the same quantities as he used to. Glad I got my second pair when I did! I'd eventually like just one more to make myself a Tractor in case some serious ABB gigs ever come my way.
figures, hosed again.. What the hell is a Tractor?

I guess then if starting from zero and hoping for some good electronics to come around at some point puts things into a different light then.

Kind of makes me lean towards the Casady bass.
 #101202  by Rusty the Scoob

seanc wrote:
Rusty the Scoob wrote:
jackevorkian wrote:

figures, hosed again.. What the hell is a Tractor?

I guess then if starting from zero and hoping for some good electronics to come around at some point puts things into a different light then.

Kind of makes me lean towards the Casady bass.
Berry Oakley's famous modified J-basses.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g70/d ... actor2.jpg

Come to think of it, my Starfire is in a Casady bass case. It's the only production hardcase that fits them... So they must be similar in size.
 #101211  by seanc

Ah..ABB Tractor, ok.

Looking around.. got to say that Hagstrom Beluga iif is pretty cool.. And so is the Viking bass..
 #101214  by Rusty the Scoob

Beluga is 34" scale, unfortunately. The HB/Viking basses are shortscale but not hollow.

The various Beatle-bass copies might be a good avenue to explore, too, especially if you like the smaller body. I saw a guy playing one in an original band at a festival and it sounded great... real thumpy and warm, a lot like my Starfire.