#99572  by JamminJommy

Scarlet wrote:
wolftigerrosebud wrote:
Jon S. wrote:On this topic, I'm always amazed when people go way out of their way to buy the same exact gear Jerry used, in particular amps and speakers, when unlike Jerry who played arenas and pushed them hard, most of us don't and can't.
Actually, Jon, I've hired Big Steve to be my full-time guitar tech. I've already got a Tiger replica with a warped neck and 7/64" action, a couple of old McIntosh amps, and Candace Brightman designing light shows for the bars my cover band plays in, but bringing Steve in on it is what'll push it over the edge and give me the sound.
That's nothing. I'm getting the middle finger of my picking hand chopped at the 2nd knuckle next week - I think you'll find that's the key to Jerry's touch.
Also have my Persian heroin habit scheduled for about Sept/Oct.
I guess some amateurs just aren't prepared to go that extra mile though...
Ah. We've gone beyond Tribute artists...

Has anyone tried the JG modded CTP through a rocktron with the Earth Drive in the mix? Compared it to a Mac?

The thick plottens.

Peace,

Jommy
 #99577  by Jon S.

You guys are hilarious - I laughed so loud at the finger crack the entire train car of people looked up!
 #99580  by hippieguy1954

Jon S. wrote:You guys are hilarious - I laughed so loud at the finger crack the entire train car of people looked up!
Your pretty funny too, Jon S. and I love laughing! ("stop that train I'm leavin")! Hey man, what some people don't understand is that there are many musicians, like myself, that have listened to and loved the Grateful Dead for 40 yrs or more! They changed my life. It just happens that Jerry Garcia discovered one of the best guitar sounds/tone that is out there! I personally don't want to be in or make a "tribute" band. I love covering Dead songs, but carbon copies are not my thing. I have my own ideas and songs. When I play GD, I'm not tryin to "play Jerry", I'm using his tone to express myself in my own way. If when I played back my recordings, if I sounded exactrly like Jerry, I would be very dissapointed. I want to sound like me using his ideas/tone and most of the time that is what I get. Granted we have some of the same ideas/tone, but I never do it note for note. Thats boring and not inspirational enough for me. Many of my riffs etc. in GD songs are slightly different than Jerry (thank goodness) because I don't want to be Jerry or try to play the notes exactly the same. Of course in certain scales there is not much option and Jerry was very progressive so it comes out sounding very much the same, sometimes. Can't be helped!
For those who want to do a "tribute"/cover" band, and they do it well, then it's what it is and I and many others enjoy listening to them, sometimes. Some of the best GD cover bands integrate thier own styles too. Mostly I would rather listen to the real thing! Please, I'm not putting down cover bands at all, just saying how I personally like to take it further?
Oh yea, back to the topic. I'm using the SMS classic (Jerry mod) into the V300 into two cabs with E120's in one and Beyma Liberty 8's in the other and it sounds beautifully Jerryish! I wouldn't even think about lugging a heavy MC when I can get such great tone this way.
peace, love and understanding
 #100834  by hippieguy1954

Jon S. wrote:You guys are hilarious - I laughed so loud at the finger crack the entire train car of people looked up!
Hey Jon S, Have you, or anyone else, noticed any "hum" comming through your speakers? I finally got to hook up my awesome SMS classic with my new Rocktron Velocity 300 in the stereo mode using a Y cable...similar to your set up. I'm getting a lot of hum from channel 2 through the speakers. I get the hum even when the SMS classic is turned off. I've checked all cables and connections to rule any of that out. Thought I would ask before I send it back. :smile: :smile: :smile:
 #100845  by Jon S.

I have zero hum but I'm not using a Y-cable. Brad built my SMS w/dual outs, which enter my RV300 independently, and then each channel drives its own speaker.
 #100854  by hippieguy1954

Jon S. wrote:I have zero hum but I'm not using a Y-cable. Brad built my SMS w/dual outs, which enter my RV300 independently, and then each channel drives its own speaker.
Essentially, Brad installed a Y in the unit so you don't have to use one. The end result is the same. I'm running both channels, and each channel drives it's own 4 ohm cab. I know now, it's the amp because there is more hum from channel 2 than channel 1 and there should be no hum at all. I called Rocktron and they are sending me a new one. Thanks for the zero hum info. Sometimes ya just need a second opinion. :smile: :smile: :smile:
 #100863  by Jon S.

Best of luck with the new unit (it sucks to have to replace something you just bought but it happens sometimes, I'm happy Rocktron is treating you right).

And by the way, I spent every summer of my life, until age 14, in Ellenville! :smile:
 #100878  by hippieguy1954

Jon S. wrote:Best of luck with the new unit (it sucks to have to replace something you just bought but it happens sometimes, I'm happy Rocktron is treating you right).

And by the way, I spent every summer of my life, until age 14, in Ellenville! :smile:
Thanks Jon S. Rocktron seems to be a fair company. They are actually owned by GHS or visa versa...go figure. I did notice they are very slow at getting back to phone calls and emails. Had to call them and complain about waiting a day for the original responce to my call/email!
The tech guy (on the phone) had me try several things that I already tried and finally said they would send me the new one along with a return lable for the "bad" one so when the new one gets here I can just put the lable on and give it to the UPS guy. As long as the next one is 0 hum, I'll be happy. Other than the dreaded hum, I love the amp. Are you still happy with yours?

Small world! Good old Ellinville. I get there sometimes. Nice area to spend childhood summers! :smile: :smile: :smile:
 #100879  by strumminsix

1954, have you tried plugging the unit into different outlets in different parts of the house?

Some of my gear is very temperamental and some rooms in my abode just make it all the worse!
 #100882  by hippieguy1954

strumminsix wrote:1954, have you tried plugging the unit into different outlets in different parts of the house?

Some of my gear is very temperamental and some rooms in my abode just make it all the worse!
I know what ya mean. Yes, I did. Was the first thing I tried, even though the outlet I normally use was always fine for my twin (0 hum, 0 noise). My house is well grounded, thank goodness. (Wish it was well built too lol!) Anyway, It had the hum no matter what outlet I tried. I was hoping it was the outlet. Now I have to wait for another amp and hope for the best. Good thing I have patience. Thanks for the input, strumminsix. Always appreciated! :smile: :smile: :smile:
 #100895  by strumminsix

hippieguy1954 wrote:
strumminsix wrote:1954, have you tried plugging the unit into different outlets in different parts of the house?

I know what ya mean. Yes, I did. Was the first thing I tried, even though the outlet I normally use was always fine for my twin (0 hum, 0 noise). My house is well grounded, thank goodness. (Wish it was well built too lol!) Anyway, It had the hum no matter what outlet I tried. I was hoping it was the outlet. Now I have to wait for another amp and hope for the best. Good thing I have patience. Thanks for the input, strumminsix. Always appreciated! :smile: :smile: :smile:
:-) glad it's all working out, bro!
 #100898  by TI4-1009

Jon S. wrote:And by the way, I spent every summer of my life, until age 14, in Ellenville! :smile:
I spent a weekend in nearby Bethel back in 1969.....
 #100900  by hippieguy1954

TI4-1009 wrote:
Jon S. wrote:And by the way, I spent every summer of my life, until age 14, in Ellenville! :smile:
I spent a weekend in nearby Bethel back in 1969.....
Wow wow, so did I! Been back a few times since too! Going there this Saturday to see Furthur. Can't wait!

Did ya make it to Watkins Glen too? :smile: :smile: :smile: