#100783  by javalina

I'm sure this one is archived, but I legitimately can't research it due to I have to get on line at the library since I slammed my blackberry in the car door; so my time in the computer is limited.

I'm playing bass full time now, building my rig, and working my way towards the Phil zone.

So, who can tell me: what kind of picks does Phil use?

And in case it's some crazy rare and expensive picks I can't get, what kind of picks do you use on bass?
 #100794  by tcsned

Our bassist tried out some of my Adamas picks but couldn't get the tone he wanted out of them (he's more into the late 60s early 70s tone not so much the Modulus era. He uses Fender heavy picks and it works fine for him.
 #100802  by vwjodyme

Call dunlop and ask for a-dom-us picks (800)722-3434 Toll Free.
ask for the RUKIND discount :lol: just kidding.
They are around $16

ps. i recently picked up some dawgs mando picks. those things are HUGE...maybe good for the bass?
 #100808  by RiverRat

I believe Phil was using picks made for him by modulus for a while. He might have switched to Adamas.
 #100818  by zambiland

I don't think that Phil ever used the Adamas graphites. He was using a Dunlop graphite pick, but it was the graphite Big Stubby. 1.6mm. I got one from him and one from Mike Gordon and didn't think much about them until I started using them. Then I loved them. They really do sound great and feel great. I was bemoaning the fact that they were even harder to find than the Adamas picks. However, Telefunken has reissued them and the T-Funk picks are perfect copies, except for the very cool Telefunken logo. I imagine that Mike or Phil got their attention and had them make a bunch. Decent price, too.

This is what you want:
http://cgi.ebay.com/TELEFUNKEN-Graphite ... 255a8056e7

If anyone wants the Adamas picks, I have a ton of them that I bought before Dunlop released them back into the wild.
 #100841  by Rusty the Scoob

I haven't tried the Telefunkens although I'm curious now. I use either the Adamas 2.0mm listed above, or most often Dunlop Gator Grip 2.0mms.

They feel almost exactly like the Adamas and sound similar, although with slightly less bite on the attack. But for $2.50 for a 12 pack at any Guitar Center they're hard to beat... I'm the kind of person who loses them, chews on them, runs them through the wash, etc.
 #100842  by javalina

thanks for the replies, you guys are awesome.
 #100847  by Grateful Dad

Rusty the Scoob wrote:I haven't tried the Telefunkens although I'm curious now. I use either the Adamas 2.0mm listed above, or most often Dunlop Gator Grip 2.0mms.

They feel almost exactly like the Adamas and sound similar, although with slightly less bite on the attack. But for $2.50 for a 12 pack at any Guitar Center they're hard to beat... I'm the kind of person who loses them, chews on them, runs them through the wash, etc.
I have a ton of these Gator Grips 2.0's. Nice grip (not slippery when sweating) and tone. I like to have my bass volume up close to all the way, adjust my amp volume accordingly, and pick as heavily as I can for the best tone/volume. These picks help me to find that sweet spot for the sound depending on the venue.

During a gig there are several of these picks on top of my rig, some on the floor depending upon if I 'm fingerpicking, an ample supply in my pocket so I don't run out of them, and extras to throw out into the throngs of adoring fans as souveniers...... :lol:

:smile:
 #123051  by Walknbluez

I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd show everyone what pick Phil is using. I got this at Terrapin Crossroads this past summer.

#123129  by Rusty the Scoob

Nice score!

Yeah, this thread is old, before Edwin gave me a Telefunken pick like that. I now use that exact type of pick for his 90's tone, really makes a huge difference. I also use it for Mike Gordon's stuff, nails that tone too plus you can easily palm it when you want to slap. Available from Telefunken's ebay store. Strangely, I love this pick on 34" basses only, can't stand it on my Starfire.

Gator Grip 2.0mm is my every-day pick for 60's/70's Phil. I believe he was using something more like a Fender Heavy at the time but I hate those for bass, way too floppy.

I use the Adamas sometimes too, a nice compromise between the two picks. I tend to only use one in rooms where my sound is muddy and I'd like a little more bite. If they were cheaper or more readily available I'd use them more.