#98913  by Rusty the Scoob

Nice! I'm torn between standard plywood and waiting for the kinks to be ironed out of the Nidacore builds. I assume they sound good?

Also... looks like your Alembic is done? How is it?
 #99389  by zambiland

Rusty the Scoob wrote:Nice! I'm torn between standard plywood and waiting for the kinks to be ironed out of the Nidacore builds. I assume they sound good?

Also... looks like your Alembic is done? How is it?
I don't think there should be a noticeable difference in tone between wood and Nidacore. I haven't heard the Nidacore setup, but the idea is that it should be exactly the same in dimensions and stiffness, hence sonic contribution of the cabinet. The design is wellbraced, so unless you really need the super super low weight or you just like the idea of the composite (I have to admit, lots of appeal there!), you might as well save time and go with wood. Leland Crook's kits at Speakerhardware.com go together insanely easily. You can make the whole thing from start to finish in 3 days, including time to let the finish dry between coats, go play gigs, clean the house, pay your bills and learn how to play all of Weather Report Suite. Rusty, I think you would be overjoyed with a couple of these cabs! Come on out to Colorado and take 'em for a spin!

The Alembic is exquisite! It's got amazing tone all throughout the bass. A couple of the other bass players played it for their sets at the festival and it was very cool to hear it from out front. It scratched a major itch for me when I heard Great American Taxi's current bass player use it. I always wanted to hear him with a more solid fundamental and it sounded wonderful. He loved it too!

Hearing it through my current rig is wonderful. One of the best things about the fEARfuls is that their dispersion is way better than most bass cabs, so the tone across the stage is amazingly even. My bandmates tell me they can hear every note in ways they've never heard. I think I'm going to experiment with the neck pickup through the 15 and the bridge through the 12. Should be fun!

More news to be posted about my Starfire soon!

PS. One of my favorite things these days is to get sound crews to lift my cabinets and watch them as they brace themselves for the weight and see the look of shock as they lift them up!
 #100401  by Rusty the Scoob

Hmmmm... after playing through some Epifani cabs this weekend I realize my current Eden/SWR mishmash cabs aren't doing me any favors. This might be a good option for me: http://www.speakerhardware.com/fearful_ ... rvrkit.php
 #100422  by Rusty the Scoob

The top was a UL series 2x10. The bottom was a 1x15... thought it was a UL but according to Musician's Friend there's only the PS series for sale. I didn't spend a ton of time looking at them... I'd rather read the phone book than shop for amps, seriously.... but for THAT kind of sound, I'll do it.
 #100640  by zambiland

Rusty the Scoob wrote:Hmmmm... after playing through some Epifani cabs this weekend I realize my current Eden/SWR mishmash cabs aren't doing me any favors. This might be a good option for me: http://www.speakerhardware.com/fearful_ ... rvrkit.php
Do it! You'll be astounded at the bombs you can drop! Plus, I know how much you like building stuff, so you'll have a fun time with that. It's really an afternoon of assembly and then a couple days of finishing and you've got a great cab.

Let me know if you have any questions. Leland's kits are very very well put together.
 #100641  by zambiland

mkaufman wrote:Edwin: do you know anything about guitar cabinets that disperse mids & highs widely?

mk
Not really. That's a hard one. It might be worth trying a mid driver like the 18 sound that's in the fEARful, but even better would perhaps to put some extension speakers around the stage if running the guitar through the monitors isn't an option.