rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

 #1190  by ElCondor
 Sat Oct 23, 2004 12:08 pm
Does any know the de3scending notes/chords picked toward the end of the song? Jerry and Jimmy both play them, several time, usually around the very end. It almost sounds like simple triads they repeat a few times, then go lower, and back up, lower. It sounds like a waterfall. It is probably 3 simple chords simply picked, but I can't, for the life of me, figger it out!?!?! Help on the Way? :( ---Condor
 #55942  by jonarobb
 Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:09 pm
Jerry and Jimmy? Do you mean Tom and Jerry? I like the end of He's Gone too, especially when the song is over.
 #55943  by tigerstrat
 Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:07 am
AGR, "F"? why? it's correct for F but its the bridge. I think the poster was talking about the final instrumental coming directly after the outro vocal jam, which usually led to Drums or an E-anchored Bob tune like Truckin, Smokestack,etc (unless you play those in F as well). JR, no smile smile smile for you? This one is chock full of Garcia grins for me. I just can't seem to figure out Jimmy's part on this one though... it's like :?
 #55949  by ElCondor
 Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:59 am
Tigerstrat, that's EXACTLY what I'm talking about! It's like "321-321-321-321 (then down a chord) 321-321(down) 321 123 E--------------> (repeat several times then usually head for Drums/Space...
 #55951  by Pete B.
 Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:54 am
If you want to lower this songs key, I would suggest playing it in D (the whole song lies really nicely on the fretboard in either E or D). Eb is cruel and unusal, in my mind.
The thing at the end is just arppegios based on 7th chord inversions (very similar to Truckin').
Sorry but it's the CAGED thing once again... there's 5 inversions for you right there.
fwiw, DP15 disk 3 is a good reference for this passage.
 #55956  by ElCondor
 Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:21 am
Yes, I HAVE been waiting 5 years for a reply... Then BLAM!!! Like all of these hits in one day! LOL

The whole CAGED/7th chord inversions thing is way above my level of musical communications. I have been playing for 20 years, pretty good for as little as I get to play, but never well versed on them thar fancy, high-falootin' werds 'n such. Just give me a chord or two, a dumbed down description, and I'll have it.

I never change keys from original. Since I have no time to play in a band anymore, playin' with THE Band is my only escape, so...
 #55974  by tigerstrat
 Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:09 pm
Pete B. wrote:If you want to lower this songs key, I would suggest playing it in D (the whole song lies really nicely on the fretboard in either E or D). Eb is cruel and unusal, in my mind.
The thing at the end is just arppegios based on 7th chord inversions (very similar to Truckin').
Sorry but it's the CAGED thing once again... there's 5 inversions for you right there.
fwiw, DP15 disk 3 is a good reference for this passage.
Pete, "agr" was posting the bridge of the song in a raised key, F (or does the bridge modulate the key down a step?). I've never thought about lowering HG to D; E is very very nice imo.
 #55979  by a.graham.robertson
 Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:33 pm
tigerstrat wrote:AGR, "F"? why? it's correct for F but its the bridge. I think the poster was talking about the final instrumental coming directly after the outro vocal jam, which usually led to Drums or an E-anchored Bob tune like Truckin, Smokestack,etc (unless you play those in F as well). JR, no smile smile smile for you? This one is chock full of Garcia grins for me. I just can't seem to figure out Jimmy's part on this one though... it's like :?
Oh my bad, I thought he was talking about the bridge because it can sound like it's descending if you follow the high notes (Ab, Ab, Ab, Gb, G, Gb, F, G). I was playing to the Europe '72 version, which is actually played somewhere between E and F, but it's closer to F. Upon further research, you're right though... it's usually played in E.
 #143543  by jackaroo
 Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:30 am
The song is and has a ways been played in E position, however they raised the pitch on the E72 mixes...so therein lies the confusion.

The bridge starts on the V (B) and that sort of becomes the home key for the duration of the bridge. Nice chords in this section, I'm especially fond of the D to Dm A to B section. The descending harmony is chromatic and pretty inventive (F#,F,E,D#). Then back to the E vamp.

The ending bit is simply a few different voicings of the E chord arpeggiated. If memory serves, it's based off of the "C" shape E chord, but starts on the third or G# (18th fret D string) then to the 14th fret partial E starting agin on the tonic (14th fret D string) then down again to the 9th fret.

Cool song.

J
 #143550  by aiq
 Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:59 am
ElCondor wrote: I never change keys from original. Since I have no time to play in a band anymore, playin' with THE Band is my only escape, so...
im starting to work out the stuff i need for my next band. my trio in DC was instrumental and im going to start singing again. my 70s band in FL did a good bit of Dead so Im starting with some Dead tunes we Didnt play and some of the Garcia band stuff. then other jammy tunes and originals.

my dilemma? i sing about a step and a half/ two steps down from Garcia so i learn/study in his key, then relearn it in the new key...