#133  by chas

The tab for Friend of the Devil in the rukind archive is the best
that i've seen, but it's not complete. does anyone have tab for
all the guitar parts throughout the whole song, and the solo?
any help would be appreaciated.
 #894  by winston

For that level of detail, you often have to pay. An exact transcription of both guitars on the "American Beauty" FOTD is available in Grateful Dead Authentic Guitar Classics, Vol. 1 (Warner Bros. Publications).

In general, text-based transcriptions don't provide the detail you're looking for. There are public-domain formats that are more detailed (e.g. PowerTab); you could search for a transcription in a format like that.
 #114650  by Jimaroe

Caught Bobby, Chris Robinson and Jackie Greene on Sunday night in Bellvue, Co at Mishawaka. Of all the shows and variations of GD member bands (Grateful Dead, the Dead, Ratdog, Furthur, Phil and pals) this one might've been my all time fav. Reason for it, was the sheer intimacy and surroundings of the stage right on the Poudre river. My wife and I had VIP TICKETS and then venue was so small. I didn't jump onto the Dead bandwagon until about 88'. By this time, it was mega stadium 3 sell out shows every night. Sunday was different, I was 10' from the stage and in between sets Bob and Chris would walk right by the section into the artist cabin. It was insane. I felt like a star struck 10 year old boy- dorky, I know. I lobbied my ass off w/ Bobby's door keeper/security to get a pic with my idol of the last 24 years. It didn't happen. However, my wife (who is much prettier than I) got to hang with the security and toke a bowl (can I say that) with Jackie between the first and second set. We got some great photos (security is extremely lenient with females) and I recorded Friend of the Devil on my iPhone from an elevated spot damn near the stage. Aside from my exuberance as I danced, drank and filmed the song, it came out pretty decent. Anyways, during the song, Bobby ad-libbed some lyrics about Borrowing 20 bucks from the devil or10 bucks from a friend. Now, I've listened to this song literally hundreds of times and had never heard these lyrics. If anybody can tell me how to move this from my iPhone to this forum, I'd gladly post it.
 #114655  by Jimaroe

Probably so. Anyways, it was a cool lyric. "You can borrow from the devil, you can borrow from a friend. Devil give you 20, friend'll give ya 10".
 #114657  by tigerstrat

Hunter performs those lyrics.

Years ago, when performing a (fast) "early" version, upon finishing the "regular" verses, I used to slow down drastically and do the "You can borrow" verse+chorus at the (slower) "late version" tempo, and then end there.
 #114677  by Bear62

I saw Robert Hunter at Crows Mill School (IL) on 4/2/1983.

You can borrow from the devil
You can borrow from a friend
The devil give you 20
But your friend got only 10

I have thrown this verse in ever since!

I cannot believe I found my ticket from this show on business card size Blue paper! Thanks for the memories!

G
 #114696  by Jimaroe

DenverEd wrote:the Mish show was a grate time.
Agree. Did you make the Boulder shows as well?
 #145818  by oceanbear11

Jimaroe wrote: Anyways, during the song, Bobby ad-libbed some lyrics about Borrowing 20 bucks from the devil or10 bucks from a friend. Now, I've listened to this song literally hundreds of times and had never heard these lyrics. If anybody can tell me how to move this from my iPhone to this forum, I'd gladly post it.
I was wonderin' where that came from in the rukind tab! I saw that there and, though I have yet to hear a version with those lyrics, I add them in my own version instead of doing the second "Got a wife in Chino. . ."
That also certainly explains why my Deadhead bandmate hadn't heard that one.

Sorry I don't know anything about moving stuff from iPod to forum. Damn I'd love to hear that one!
Thanks for helping me find out where that came from!

:smile:
 #145848  by ebick

oceanbear11 wrote:
Jimaroe wrote: Anyways, during the song, Bobby ad-libbed some lyrics about Borrowing 20 bucks from the devil or10 bucks from a friend. Now, I've listened to this song literally hundreds of times and had never heard these lyrics. If anybody can tell me how to move this from my iPhone to this forum, I'd gladly post it.
I was wonderin' where that came from in the rukind tab! I saw that there and, though I have yet to hear a version with those lyrics
RobertHunter wrote:I'd written that extra verse for "Friend of the Devil" and he said, "Why the hell don't you give me these things before I record them?" And also the same with "Rubin and Cherise." I had some ending Orpheus and Eurydice stuff in there to complete the story. He liked it but said, "I've already recorded it and can't go back and do it again."
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/featu ... s-20150311