#3560  by bigfootcounty

Hi All,

What scales/modes do all of you use to solo in PeggyO? Sounds mixolydian but perhaps the G major scale?

Thanks!
Chris 8)

#14579  by chuckpolzin

i feel like the chords posted on the tab just dont feel right , am i wrong here, ? something odd sounding about it with different recordings of the song

#14583  by Rev_Roach

G major is definitely the songs key, but I find playing the changes to be pretty important for Peggy-O. The chords don't change too quickly and theres only 5 of them (G, C, D, Em, Bm), so its not hard to follow them using either arpeggios or respective pentatonics for each chord. I especially love to rip up that Bm.

#14586  by chuckpolzin

yeah i just played a 74 version and it definately fits that tab , but the 5-7 boston garden sounded like a diff key idk/

say when you try soloing" improv over something have you memorized the entire neck as to what fits over what or how do you know where you can jump to ,is there a spec method that helped you do this or did you just play the pattern so many times,

i found a really helpful site that pairs up well here because you can see a big chart for any scale/mode and in each key they show the entire freboard ,

freaking awesome for a newby if you wanna jam to a song using the think tank forum

#14594  by Robey

For me personally, it's playing the patters so much that you just know them. However, the downside to that is that you retain heavily imprinted muscle memory.

Also, note that I am almost certain that I viewed a later era version on YouTube in which the song was played in the key of A. I think it was a 93 or 94 version....

#14598  by DudeWithTheFan

as far as chords, i play:

A D A
As we rode out Fennerio
A F#m C#m
As we rode out Fennerio
D A
Our captain fell in love
A A/G# F#m
with a lady like a dove
A D
And he called her by name
A
Pretty Peggy-O

i like to solo using A and C# minor pentatonic

#14601  by Billbbill

I'm with robey and dwtf. I pretty much always play it in A. I think the older versions are in G,

I think they also started to play it at some point, late eighties I believe, where they would delay and cover another measure in A before going to the next line of the song.

Did not like that at all.

I play A Ionian, sometimes A Pentatonic.
D Lydian though sometimes D Pentatonic.
F# Aeolian sometimes F#m Pentatonic
C# Phrygian sometimes C#m Pentatonic

I've been trying to cite appropriate modal references lately. While I guess I've kinda been doing it all along, I really didn't know what I was doing.

:lol:

For all I know I'm citing the wrong key. The notes for A Ionian are what I play. Different Pentatonic sub scales as well.

Feel free to straighten my shit out if I'm talkin out my butthole.

:-?

#44870  by Mick

I just came across this yesterday, I always seem to be late to the party! Anyway, out of curiousity, last night I started playing along with DP 20, and that version is definitely key of A. The melody is on the A ionian scale as well. I didn't break my brain too much on billbill's traveling scales during the solo, but none of it upset my mental apple cart either, which is to say that I think it would be correct to think of the solo that way. Last night, I was generally just thinking of staying on the A Ionian scale and moving up and down on it following/trying to keep up with Jerry.

#44881  by weirimpressed

Ive only seen the song in G and A.

great version of this '95 peggy o on youtube, its pretty emotional.

#44882  by steve

A while ago someone transposed the solo from a '77 show (pretty sure it was '77) and posted it here. I suppose you could see what notes it is comprised of and figure out the scale from that. I don't recall where on here it is though
Last edited by steve on Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

#44889  by Mick

Just got a few more minutes with Fennario last night, and it seems like the whole song, including the whole solo, is all on the pentatonic. He doesn't seem to hit the 4 or the 7 at all.

#44902  by myoung6923

Yeah - I agree with the major (Ionian) scale. Yes - they used to do it in G and then switched to A. I do it in A and solo in A major - here's a version of us doing it: http://www.fennario.us/audio/5-10-08/2-12%20Peggy-O.mp3