#45862  by jonarobb

strumminsix wrote:
bucketorain wrote:didn't jerry sing verses of Jack Straw, doesn't he sing "I just jumped the watchman right outside the fence" etc..making this a Bob Jer combo?
It's a Bobby tune.

Words by Hunter, Music by Weir.

Jerry gets the first half of the bridge.

I think it's a stretch to call it a combo song.

Songs in that vein, IMO, The Weight, Let the Good Times Roll.

Agreed. Initially Weir sang the whole thing anyway with Lesh and Garcia just doing the harmony on the verses. The first show I have with Jerry singin the "Watchman" verse is 5/10/72....
 #105999  by Linkslover

Unfortunately, I didn't discover the Dead until late 1972 (really it was February of '73 when some friends bought me a ticket to see them in Champaign. I was so blown away by their show the first night, I went out a bought a ticket for the 2nd.)

Anyhow, I traveled to see them in neighboring locations over the next year and half (Indianapolis, Des Moines, Alpine Valley, Chicago) and I went out and bought all the available albums starting with their first.

In the fall of '73, I remember taking the 3+ hour drive to St. Louis to see them and thinking during the ride down their that I'd really like to see them do Cold Rain & Snow. In a typical karmic experience they opened the show with a great version of it.
 #106003  by gr8fulbluz

Bit of a blast from the past but reading about CR&S made me wanna hear some 1966. At random i picked nov. 11.
Wowzie! bouncy cold rain, I love the Jerry/pigpen interaction then a little over 3 min and bam that is it, over. Interesting.

So i had to look more, I am almost positive I 'borrowed' a 'bootleg' of one of these 1966 shows from my brother. I knew he would never let me have it so I did not ask which was not smart or nice.
But after i got caught he did relent and give me a copy of Mars hotel for keeps. My first dead album. whoot.
He was ten years and lots bigger and smarter than me at the time :twisted:
Not a bad guy after all.
 #107022  by Linkslover

Alpine Valley is(was?) an outdooor music venue just east of Lake Geneva, Wisconsin. The Dead used to play 2 or 3 shows running there every summer in the late '70s and early '80s. It gave them a chance to draw from Chicago, Madison and Milwaukee.
 #107023  by Mr.Burns

Alpine Valley may have been very cool 25 years ago, but it became a very unfriendly place for Deadheads.
The locals used to invite campers, but that ended in the 90's.
The Walworth Co. Sheriff Dept are a bunch of assholes, too.
But they have the goofiest undercover cops I've ever seen.
 #122277  by old man down

Wow, can't believe I finally found it.

Back in 1974, a friend of mine introduced me to a vinyl bootleg album called Nights of the Living Dead, which a few years later I was able to get a copy of for myself. It had, from memory, Promised Land, Easy Wind, H2H, and Cold Rain and Snow, all live audience cuts. My copy of that album is long gone.

But, I always loved the CR&S version on it, and one of the reasons I started this thread was in search of that version.

Turns out you can hear it on Archive because it was cut from DP 8 because it was considered to be "unworkable."
It is Harpur College, May 02, 1970.

So what is there to like about this version.

1) Jerry actually tunes his guitar during the intro lead in. I like it. He hits a tuning sequence during the middle break, but it really isn't tuning, it is just hitting notes that work with the song, and I like it there, too.
2) It has the chugging rhythm, the biting Garcia low note leads, all nicely done.
3) The middle break is very appealing, with a double reach for the high notes, followed by a very tasteful slur to end it.
4) There are really nice snippets throughout, definitely worth trying to learn.

I think the last time I heard this was around 1980, so 32 years ago.
But it is amazing how you can recognize a version that you once heard, and be positive that you are hearing it again with just a short listen.
 #122288  by Poor Peter

The boys plaayed thier first show at Alpine Valley in August of 1980. And every summer after that until 1989 with the exception of 1983. Not trying to prove anyone right or wrong, just sayin'.
 #122302  by tigerstrat

Poor Peter wrote:The boys plaayed thier first show at Alpine Valley in August of 1980. And every summer after that until 1989 with the exception of 1983. Not trying to prove anyone right or wrong, just sayin'.
Right, no 70's Alpine shows. There were Madison shows, Chicago shows, Milwaukee... '83 they played Poplar Creek in the Chicago burbs instead (two incredible shows but its no surprise they moved it back to the larger and friendlier Alpine)

Cold & rainy in the valley, cold & snowing up on the mountain...
 #122305  by Free Jazz

Ohhh those biting low notes. What a gift. It's just meant for humbuckers or P-90's. So soulful... But to honor the magic, and that heavy chugging motion, I have to give it large to Phil. He gives it such a fluid, dynamic push, which almost frames a demand for everyone to groove heavy. The stage must've been rumbling!