#80377  by Jon S.

The Thankful Dads' first gig with my new Philtone* Jerrycaster will be tomorrow so I figure now's a good time to share some info. and pics on it. Special thanks to Waldo for solving my luthier's and my wiring dilemas or we'd be scratching our heads still today trying to make it work! :smile:

*** http://www.philtone.com

The guitar took 2+ years to build but now that it's done, I can honestly say, "Game over." This is the best playing, sounding, and most versatile guitar I've ever had the pleasure to play. In fact, I've barely picked up another guitar the month I've had it.

CAVEAT: Passions run high here concerning authenticity and such so perhaps I should be clear up-front, the guitar is not, and was never intended to be, a "clone," but is rather an "inspired by" instrument. I dig Jerry but I'm not Jerry (shocking, isn't it! :oops: ) so what I commissioned is an axe for myself. Thanks for understanding. Now to the guitar.

Phil Jacoby built me the guitar from scratch. By that, I mean, literally from blank blanks of wood. The parts that aren't his are listed below but, except for the fretboard (which Phil shaped to fit my guitar), anything made of wood on the guitar Phil constructed by hand from wood blanks. The non-Philtone parts are:

- inlayed ebony fretboard (Brian Nalls dba Jack of Roses)
- PUPs (Lindy Fralin)
- inlaid unity gain buffer cavity cover (Ron Thorn)
- unity gain buffer (CAE)
- headstock inlay (Craig Lavin)
- bridge (NOS Ibanez)
- tailpiece (Brian Nalls again)
- knobs (Armadillo Guitars)
- and of course the various electronics and switches

More pics and details to follow but for starters,

What a long

strange trip

it's been!

#80382  by Good Times

That is one sweet looking guitar :cool:
 #80383  by strumminsix

CONGRATS AGAIN! Now don't do nuttin' silly and use an M13 with her! Bwahahaha

BTW, did he do the PLEK to her? What's her name, Jerrycaster?

My first custom is a "SoloCaster'', maybe they are cousins, ha! Her name is Rooster since she is PERFECT for slide work!
 #80387  by jester536

Sounds like you provided some great ideas and found some very talented craftsmen. Congratulations...you are to be commended on having the patience to take the time to get it done right. Good luck on the first gig with it.
 #80424  by Jon S.

It's at Millie's 9th Annual Crawfish Boil in downtown Fairfax, VA, where the motto is (you can't make this shit up) "Pinch the tail, suck the head!" There will be 4 bands. We're 3rd just before the headliner, The Soul Kings (a 10-piece R&B band). Before us will be Might As Well (originals). If you'd like to come, email or PM me by tomorrow morning for directions!

P.S. This is more than you asked but WTF:

Slipknot - Franklin's - Slipknot
Mr. Charlie
Me & My Uncle
New Speedway Boogie
China Cat - IKYR
Althea
Scarlet - Fire
Get Out of My Life Woman
He's Gone - space - The Other One (pt. 2)
Big Boss Man
U.S. Blues

One set only tomorrow due to there being 4 bands but at our following 6/19 gig, it's just us/3 sets. That one's also outdoors, this time at a pool club & would be happy to place rukind friends on the guest list.
Last edited by Jon S. on Fri May 21, 2010 6:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
 #80425  by JonnyBoy

No I believe you completely, Sucking the guts out is the best part!! Spicy intestines, yum! Here in the Mississippi Delta you can't get away without doing that!!! People just walk away and say, "Poor Yankee" if someone refuses to do so... The longer I lived here, the more pressure was put upon me to eat them "Properly".They are just mini lobsters, with red potatoes and Corn on the Cobb. Crawfish boils are the REAL parties in the south. Yeee Haw!!

Jon, That's Fking beautiful. He did a great job, I know you are excited and proud, you should be. Have fun with it!!! -Jboy
 #80427  by Jon S.

Thanks. And what's "OtisLotus?!"
 #80435  by JonnyBoy

Its a strange Bible Belt cult I am the leader of, we are much like The Grateful Dead's eyeball slicing kinda thing... but you know, good eyeballs are hard to come by in this economy, If you stare at the picture long enough you will be mine and so will your eyeballs!!!

Its actually the band I play in, we are under site construction... check back every now and again, once our IT professional/Rhythm guitarist gets around to posting our stuff we'll have some music and video and all the good stuff!!!
 #80451  by broesau

Jon, I seem to recall that you played at a pool in Kings Park West once. Do you live in KPW? I grew up there and have the fondest memories of it. I'd love to jam, but I moved to TN 6 years ago, still go back to VA pretty ofter though.
 #80452  by Jon S.

Small world! Yes, I do live in KPW, we did play at the Commonwealth Pool Club over Labor Day Weekend (pic below), and will be playing there again this June 19. If you're in town that weekend, PM me! Jon S.