#132948  by moonliner

That is a beautiful guitar. I love the fan headstock, and the shape of the horns is very elegant. Nice piece!
Has it been finished yet? I ask for two reasons... 1. I'd love to see the finished product, and 2. I'm having Alembic build a bass for me and things seem to have gone very quiet over there. No factory to customer posts on anyone's project for a very long time, no return of emails (they were never good at that) I tried calling and now their message machine is full.
I know they have a history of taking a long time, but usually they are in touch during the process....

Again, that's a beautiful guitar!
 #132949  by jalevinemd

Thanks for the compliment. The guitar isn't finished yet. The FTC threads seem to have cooled down over the last year or two. They used to really hop. I'm not sure why that is. As far as the length of time to complete custom builds, that has definitely been true in the past. I think they're really working to correct that, though heavily customized inlay work will still slow the train down quite a bit. I've always found the phone a better vehicle for communication with Alembic than emails. Don't give up. what are the specs of your bass? Any pics?
 #132950  by moonliner

Thanks for the response. Can't wait to see your guitar finished!
Yes, email is hopeless.... phone used to be good, but as I mentioned, that seems to have slipped too.

They are doing a rework of a Guild Starfire bass ala Phil and Jack. No one there has done that kind of work, so I expected it would take a while.... but it's 9 months now with nothing to show. I try to be patient :-)
 #132952  by zambiland

Alembic is pretty notoriously slow. A refinish with an addition of an omega cut that was supposed to take a couple of months ended up taking more than 18 months and most of the work was done in the last month or so. A completion of a build that was supposed to take 6 weeks took 7 months, and all they needed to do was install the pickups and electronics. I think they take their time to really wrap their heads around what they have to do before they commit.