#129118  by Jerry1996x

I was talking to the bass player in my band today about a guitar im working on, and how im looking for some parts, and he mentioned his dad had a bunch of parts from when he worked on guitars. I went to his house and he said I could take whatever I find, and I just so happened to find a set of Seymour Duncan pups (a little 59, JB jr, and a third for the middle that I cant remember). Needless to say I was thrilled and went right home to swap them out. All I can say is they sound fantastic, awesome bluesy tone. I switched the 59 to bridge position and the JB to neck, which I think works better. I was also surprised to find a Mesa Boogie Mark IV in his basement as well.... :cool:

Now its time to wind some pups for that project guitar! :shock: :smile:
 #129152  by tatittle

America is such a great country, there are always treasures waiting to be rediscovered in basements and attics across the country. When I was in high school, I played in a cover band that regularly played house parties...I must say we were quite good; that young gunslinger thing was definitely in full gear for myself and the other lead guitarist. A friend who regularly had house parties enthusiastically invited me to check out his father's guitar which was in solitary confinement in a basement closet.

Low and behold the kid brings out a mint condition Gibson ES-335 Dot guitar in tobacco sunburst, all original...the same one Bobby Weir played in 1974. No guitar does its strengths better. I think he said it was a 1969 (years later I discoved he must have said/meant 1959). He offered to let me use it...needless to say I accepted!!! I ended up bringing that priceless gem around the country with me for the next 7 years or so; college, gigs, etc. In Chicago some idiot broke into my Uhaul and instead of stealing the $50k ES-335 or the LP, he took a bag of cd's and a camera I couldnt sell for $100. to make rent a year earlier; though the camera bag did have a big sac of kind bud in it :)--I got that stuff back but thats a different story.

I already had a gorgeous Gibson LP Custom I had bought new, along with a Boogie .22 Caliber, so I was no stranger to quality gear even at 17. (I wish I had appreciated just how good I had it then! I ended up selling both those for chump change in a phase of despair years later; and I miss them everyday now). After college I just happened to run into the kid at the Post Office, and he said his father was really bugging him about getting the guitar back (I dont recall an amp so I doubt he even played it). Being the honest if sinful person I am, I brought it back to its true owner a few days later. I really liked the guitar...but youth being what it is I didnt appreciate just how special it was or how fortunate I was to have been given a good ear and passionate soul.
 #129165  by mgbills

I got my Mutron on Craigslist for $200. Guy had played in a reggae band in Jamaica in the '70's and '80s.
Put it in a box for years. He thought it didn't work well.

Just needed an OBEL & Waldo Buffer. I was pretty stoked! It was last year.
 #129199  by Scarlet

Nearly 20 years ago I was teaching guitar to one of many heavy metal fixated teenagers at the time. He told me about the old weak crappy drive pedal he had & how he'd just bought a Boss Metal Zone or something that was much more 'awesome'. He decided to give me the old crappy pedal since he no longer needed it.
I still use it...........it's a 1980 TS808!!!
 #129257  by Jerry1996x

tatittle wrote:to make rent a year earlier; though the camera bag did have a big sac of kind bud in it :)--I got that stuff back but thats a different story.

I already had a gorgeous Gibson LP Custom I had bought new, along with a Boogie .22 Caliber, so I was no stranger to quality gear even at 17. (I wish I had appreciated just how good I had it then!
Classic :D . I feel you man, im 17 and I've got a great sounding rig, probably more than a player of my skill deserves to have. I try really hard to not take that stuff for granted. Hopefully ill never have to sell it out of need for money (unless its for new gear :-) )

Great stories guys. Here are a few more. I was helping clear out my grand father's storage unit, and I see this thing in the back corner that just so happened to be a natural wood marshall JCM 4x12 with some nice celestion G12s in it. Courtesy of my uncle!

So in my high school, I play guitar in the pit orchestra every year, and this year my buddy (who is a shredder but way more technically educated than I am) played the second part. I brought my Twin in for practices and the performances, and we used limited pedals, I used my modded TS9 and a wah, he used a Maxon OD808. During maybe the 3rd or 4rth song of the last performance, a small TV that was sitting on a small table on stage as a prop fell from the table and hit my shoulder than my amp. We were surprised (duh) but kept playing. My buddy's (Maxx) Maxon was sitting on the amp. The TV crushed the pedal and broke the switch. After the show, my band teacher/conductor said they would take money out of the musicals profit to buy a new one. Maxx gave me the broken one, and all it needed was a new switch! He also just gave me a Whammy IV for $20 that just needs to be recalibrated.... :smile: :smile: :smile:

Hoorah im not Mickey anymore!
 #132784  by tatittle

Imagine Stevie Ray with a MetalZone! Yuck. I guy I played with a few times gave me one of those, after playing it for about a minute I promptly listed it on ebay and got like 10 bucks for it lol. They say good players can make anything sound good, but Im not so sure about that...