#109032  by Poor Peter

Howdy All,
I am currently running an SG thru a '65 fender super reverb. I am not happy with my tone. It's punchy with no real depth to it. Is this something I can remedy with a new set of tubes? Something that will give me some more "headroom"? Once I turn up past three it gets too crunchy for me. I remember a few years back someone recommended a tube dealer on the east coast that I spoke with that seemed very knowledgeable and very friendly. At the time I couldn't afford his recommendation and of course now I can't remember their name. They had some nice vids on you tube that walked you thru the process. Biasing ect. ect. Can anyone help a brother out.?

Poor Peter
 #109043  by Smolder

The two tube dealers I go to are both on the east coast (-ish). Mike at KCNOStubes.com is in the DC/Virginia area, and Gregg at hitestguitars.com is on NJ. Both are players that can articulate the characteristics of tube tone well. Not sure if either are 'the guy' you are looking for.
 #109051  by strumminsix

Is yours the 410 model? If so I don't think you'll be able to get away from the punch :(
But there are options like choosing a 5751 preamp tube in your first gain stage or changing the bias of your poweramp tubes
 #109056  by Poor Peter

Not sure if I have the 410 or not, it is currently at our practice space. Thanks for the help. Hopefully I will report back with good news.
 #109288  by barefootdave

You have a Super Reverb and don't know if it's a 4x10?

I have never seen one that wasn't.

Anyway, the Super Reverb is not an amp known for headroom, quite the opposite actually. If it is really a '65 then it's worth quite a bit of money. Just sell it and get yourself something that has the tone you want. There are many discussions on this board about appropriate amps for Grateful Dead tone. For what a real 65 Super Reverb would bring, you can get a Sarno preamp, nice power amp, and Hard Truckers cab.