#79879  by jx2638

Was wondering if anyone has any experience using or hearing Bag End 12" speakers?
Any info appreciated. Thanks.
 #79895  by strumminsix

I've heard they are hit or miss with the amp you are using.

Good cabinet construction is a constant but the speakers don't mate well with all amps.

I'd buy one of their unloaded cabs in a second if one presented itself at a good price.
 #79897  by jdsmodulus

strumminsix wrote:I've heard they are hit or miss with the amp you are using.

Good cabinet construction is a constant but the speakers don't mate well with all amps.

I'd buy one of their unloaded cabs in a second if one presented itself at a good price.
Plus you would get the clips!!!!! :lol:
 #79903  by strumminsix

playingdead wrote:They are sealed cabinets, though, if I remember correctly.
I think so but lots of folks around Chicago have notoriosly made them open back as they are localish used to be sorta plentiful.
 #79929  by ugly rumor

Bag End cabs are rear ported. They are primarily a bass cabinet/speaker manufacturer (speakers are manufactured by Eminence to Bag End specs). The quality is exceptionally good. Their speakers are designed to fit their cab (or other way around!), but should work well in any configuration allowing enough cubic inches behind the speaker. The speakers are fairly frequency-specific, meaning they are designed to perform best in a narrow frequency range. They do make a full range version, also. Check out their website. For bass they are the best flat response, powerful, and sensitive speakers for the money.
 #80007  by jx2638

BagEnd.jpg
Here's a pic of the Bag End I'm set to checkout tomorrow...regardless of the yet to be heard speaker tone, to me the cabinet is 100% bad ass...clips, birch, looks like solid construction and a great look. Not sure if back is ported or not yet.
What's the "too good to pass up" price??
 #80017  by ugly rumor

Check to see that it is in fact a Bag End cabinet. The older ones were bare, like this one, and had "BAG END" stamped into the wood. If it is, it should also exhibit furniture quality construction, with finger-jointed edges. For an older 12, I would say a fair price would be @$250, if it has no issues. Gently push the cone to see if you feel any voice coil rubbing, and listen for distortion or buzzing. I'm sure you know all this, but better twice told than regret at leisure. You may want to check the edge of the magnet, also. There should be a tape with numbers on it. 67 would indicate an Eminence speaker. I did hear once that EV made speakers for Bag End at one point, but for me now that is an unconfirmed rumor. Currently on ebay there is a reconed 12" for $89 +$15 shipping, no cabinet. Can't walk away price, depending on whether you need it or want it, I would say $100-125.

jist my ole ignerant opinion!
 #80018  by ugly rumor

Also, forgot to say, make sure it is indeed a Bag End speaker! I recently bought a cabinet on ebay that was supposed to have an EV. When I opened it up...Eminence! No problem for me, because I wanted the cabinet, but you want the speaker. If it is, you can't miss the big blue BAG END on the magnet. God luck!
 #80019  by ugly rumor

Ummmm.....GOOD! Luck, that is!
 #80261  by ugly rumor

So didja get it, and what do you think?
 #80274  by jx2638

I got it and I love it. I've ran it as ext from my amp and it's got a nice, mellow tone. The construction is incredible. It's got the BAG END "brand" in the top of the cab and the big BE sticker on the magnet. It looked like there had been tape on the side of the magnet but the tape was long gone. Speaker is in immaculate condition...i spent some time carefully removing a lot of dust and both sides now look great. It is ported...there's a baseball sized cutout in the middle of the back...it's also insulated. The clips are real handy and the bolts/threading just ooze quality craftsmanship. Even the mounting system of the metal speaker cover...can't remove it without loosening clips. And best of all, I paid $50 plus a mini Q-tron...maybe I'll go out, get a thick piece of glass for the top of it and coffee table it! Thanks for all the input UR...glad to be a BE owner.