#145110  by gdeloian

So I bought a pair of Beyma Liberty 8's. Loaded them in a cab I built, wired them up and fired them up. The sound was much less than what I expected. TONS of mid and low frequencies and nowhere near the highs and high mids of the JBL E120s. This weekend, I took them to a friends house and we A/B'd them next to a set of e120s, and we were both stunned. The Beymas sound NOTHING like the e120s. WAY too much low and mid range. The cabinet they are in is partially closed in back. We contemplated that this 'might' have something to do with the tone? I fine it hard to believe the closed back of a cab would effect the tone that much? Thoughts? :shock:
 #145111  by Smolder

What you described has me thinking they are out of phase. Being essentially E120 clones I assumed the one I have is wired with reverse polarity like the JBL's, but it is not. Check yours... A 9 volt basked (polarities from battery aligned to speaker contacts) should push the cone forward, not backwards.
 #145112  by TI4-1009

Or for a quick check just try one speaker at a time- that should eliminate any phase issues.
 #145118  by gdeloian

Ok. I will check this out. Newbie question...is this a result of me wiring them improperly? Can this be fixed with wiring configuration? Have I damaged them in any way by using them like this?
 #145119  by tcsned

From all reports they are a little warmer sounding than the JBL E120s but not drastically so. The partial closed back may have something to do with it too. I just posted a link to a video just now in another thread. With a Scarlet Fire Wolf (DiMarzio Super IIs) -->SMS CTP-->Mac2100-->Bemya Liberty 8s with an open back cab.

forum/viewtopic.php?f=326&t=16824
 #145121  by Smolder

gdeloian wrote:Ok. I will check this out. Newbie question...is this a result of me wiring them improperly? Can this be fixed with wiring configuration? Have I damaged them in any way by using them like this?

My understanding is the Beyma speakers are wired from the factory in a traditional fashion. JBL's were not... they were all wired with positive and negative reversed. If someone had one of yours re-coned, I suppose it is possible that they set it up like a JBL E120... but that's probably an outlier scenario. If you did not pay attention to aligning the wiring to positive and negative... my bet is you simply reversed on of the connections. Either the 9 volt battery test (described above) or reversing one of the speaker connections would tell you the answer. This would apply whether you set them up in parallel or series.
 #145124  by TI4-1009

gdeloian wrote: Have I damaged them in any way by using them like this?
Nah. If this is the issue then you just have "one going out while the other is going in". Some of the sound waves cancel each other out and just doesn't sound good. Hopefully that's all it is.