#128950  by Marlow

I have a JBL K110 and alnico Weber Cali in a 2 x 10", but it's an unhappy marriage. They just don't sound right together ... or I just can't get used to the voicing on the Cali. Any suggestions for a compatible partner for a K110 (apart from another K110 of course, which is pretty hard to find in these parts)?
 #129047  by Marlow

Really? No one has matched a K110 with anything?
 #129488  by TI4-1009

I have mine matched up with a K120, but in a 2x10 that's not going to help you.
 #129600  by Marlow

Well, I wound up going with a Celestion G10. I'll post the results when it arrives.
 #130890  by Marlow

The Celestion G10 has finally arrived, after a month on order. Surprisingly, it says "Made in the UK" on the box. I was expecting China.

The K110 and G10 actually make a pretty good match. You wouldn't think so on paper -- the Celestion G10 is middy, low efficiency, paper dome, and often associated with a distorted Marshall sound. But the G10 adds colour and depth to the K110 in the mids and lower mids. The JBL still dominates because of the G10's comparative low efficiency, but that's fine because the amp still foregrounds the JBL, while the G10 warms it up, especially at low volume.

The amp is a 1990 solid-state Fender Princeton Chorus. No, it's not a tube amp, but it has the best Fender clean tone this side of a 12AX7.
 #138775  by Jon S.

What does each speaker weigh approximately?
 #138777  by tatittle

I didn't like the ceramic California or Michigan Webers at all. I do like Altec 425's (10")...they tend to have a looser response than JBL's which can be better for overdrive tones. There is 1 on ebay now for $100. which isn't a bad deal.
 #138783  by Jon S.

One for $100? I don't see it. Do you mean the pair for $120 @ that the ad for each reads, "This speaker has a genuine JBL kit installed. The chrome dust cap has been painted black and the cone has a slight warp near the leads (see pics)."?
 #138786  by tatittle

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200 ... =824&kw=lg

It just ended so that's why you didn't see it. He will likely relist since this was the 3rd time around already. Im kinda surprised nobody bought it. I offered him $100. including shipping and he didn't respond. Its an Altec not a JBL...and the cone looks original to me.