#113725  by wolftigerrosebud

No, I use one in a 1x12. But I can tell you right now that if you want a real Jerry sound, don't settle for the Commonwealth. Go for the JBL. I settled for a Commonwealth after settling for an emi RWB. Now I'm accepting that I'm probably going to be looking for an e120 in the not-too-distant future.

That being said, it's a very aurally pleasant speaker. It has a much warmer, mid-rangier quality than Jerry's speakers. Really clean, sparkly, smooth. Just a different resonant peak, as Brad put it to me. And the speaker, I now know, is a far more important component in overall tone than I ever before gave it credit for.
 #122991  by mijknahs

I just auditioned a pair of 12" Eminence Commonwealths in my own 2x12 cab. The speakers belong to a good friend. I really needed to try them myself before buying a pair.

I found them to be a good sounding speaker for Jerry tone. They don't sound exactly like my E120s but neither do all E120s! I must say that I can get a good usable tone that I'd be happy to play a gig with. The differnece is in the mids. The Commonwealth seem to have more of a scooped out mid than the E120s. I think they have a bit more bass as well. I can hear the bass and the high-highs more. I was A/B-ing them for about an hour. I like them though. They sound close enough to the E120s that my wife was hard pressed to hear the difference.

Bottom line is I think I'm going to buy a pair to use to switch things up. It also depends on other factors. I thought they sound better with my Fender Pro Reverb than with my Twin. I was using a McIntosh the whole time but they might sound good in a Twin combo (with power tubes) because I thought any speakers I've tried in the combo sound to midrangey.
 #122992  by tcsned

Yep, that's what I'm running now. They are great. I am going to get a pair of Beyma Liberty speakers. Mine are now in a closed/ported back cab so it's not gonna compare too closely to Jerry's sound. But I'm very happy with them.
 #122994  by mijknahs

My old broken in E120s (compared back to back with the new Commonwealths) sound as if you adjusted an EQ with slighly more mids and reduced the lower bass and highest highs a touch. Still in the ball park though.

However, I must emphasize that different E120s can sound totally different depending on age and how broken in they are. I had a pair of E120s that I really didn't like because I thought they were too bright sounding. Probably not broken in like this pair that I've been using for the last 15 years.

I suppose the Commonwealths would also mellow some of their high frequencies after being broken in more.