#144130  by FranklinsTower

ugly rumor wrote:By all means, stay in your comfort zone. There are those who like vintage, those who, like me, feel there was an apex of quality and a reversion to substandard, as the public will buy what is manufactured regardless, and those who feel that quality is progressive, and that new beats old, today is better than yesterday. It is what makes us an interesting bunch.

That's good insight-- thank you. I think I'm just gonna take my time and see which way the wind blows on that one. Ill stick with my berringer for now since I'm not doing any important gigs now anyway and then just really keep my eyes and ears open over time. "Some folks trust in reason others trust in might-- I don't trust in nothing but I know it comes out right."
 #144151  by Rusty the Scoob

zambiland wrote: But, I'm pretty happy with a Fender style front end with the Alembic F2B or SMS CTP and a lightweight class D power amp for gigging.
This is exactly what I run! Preamps should shape your tone and power amps for stage use should just be clean and loud and reliable in my opinion. I'm partial to the Crown XLS series, I have two in my PA and one in my bass rig, 1000-2500 watts, 10-15 lbs, $350-500, easy to use and reliable. My backup/small-gig head is a Genz-Benz Shuttle 9.0, tube pre with Class D power and it's 95% as good, nearly indistinguishable when set flat although I think the F2B's tone shaping is a lot more musical and way more John Kahn.

The downside for this particular application to the Dual-Showman/SMS/F2B preamp and class D power amp is that it's super crystal clear... my P basses sound like P basses, my Gibson sounds fat and warm, my custom ACG/Barts 5 sounds like itself, etc. There's no hiding your tone, the sound that comes in is the same as what comes out.
 #145382  by FranklinsTower

Wanted to let you guys know that I received my VV bass piano a few days ago. Wow does it sound so so good. I am very happy with my purchase. Now all i have to do is get good at playing it-- :lol: