#114184  by Todd GT5

Hey guys,
I got my new "Graphite Guitar Systems" graphite set necked, 5 string, quilted maple front, one piece alder back bass with Nordstrand Big Splits saturday! My brother Jerry Dorsch(co-founder of modulus-owner operator of GGS), delivered it to me during a trip to see mom this weekend. It's been a 7 month wait, but worth every minute of it.

Here's some pics:

Thanks - Todd
 #114191  by Todd GT5

seamones wrote:That is wild looking piece of maple. Does GGS have any web presence?
Jerry is planning on setting up a website soon. he's been real busy supplying graphite necks to other builders and doing finish work for others. He's wanting to do more whole intruments in the future. You can get his phone number by googling "Graphite Guitar Systems".

Thanks - Todd
 #114210  by Todd GT5

Rusty the Scoob wrote:Nice! Sweet neck-through, too, might be a closer match to the Modulus TBX basses that Mike Gordon (and I think Phil) currently play than a regular bolt-on Q5. How's it sound?
Thanks Rusty the Scoob!

It sounds awesome, it has the Nordstrand Big Splits which should eliminate the hum I got at some locations with my other GGS with the Big SIngles. Strangley, this bass has more tonal range and clarity than my other one. I assume it's because of the set neck construction, because these pick-ups are supposed to be a little darker than the Big Singles. BTW, I came to my conclusions on the difference in tonal characteristics, by switching the same broken in strings from one bass to the other(D'Addario Chromes-Flat Wounds).

Thanks - Todd
 #119678  by broesau

At the risk of sounding stupid, why does your graphite neck have a truss rod? I thought graphite weren't supposed to be adjustable or move for that matter?
 #119689  by Rusty the Scoob

My understanding is that they don't move seasonally due to weather, but sometimes need to be adjusted for different string gauges. My Moses neck has a trussrod, I think some Moduluses do too.
 #119719  by Todd GT5

broesau wrote:At the risk of sounding stupid, why does your graphite neck have a truss rod? I thought graphite weren't supposed to be adjustable or move for that matter?
The early Modulus necks didn't have truss rods and worked well. I never adjust mine, even when changing string types, but the string tensions of my string choices may not be that different for mine. The other issue is having a truss rod allows for setting it up to varying amounts of relief, which will please the people who are very exacting on how they set their action. It does add extra weight though. With out the truss rods, you haved to live with whatever the neck does under tension.

-Todd
 #119786  by zambiland

broesau wrote:At the risk of sounding stupid, why does your graphite neck have a truss rod? I thought graphite weren't supposed to be adjustable or move for that matter?
I have a 1991 Modulus Q6 neck and it has no truss rod and is definitely sensitive to string tension changes. So, my neck sits perfectly with DR Sunbeams, 30-120. I've tried some of the other strings, especially to get the Phil or Mike Gordon tone and the neck just doesn't like them as much. If it had a truss rod, it might work better with different strings. I'm not really complaining as I love the Sunbeams, it's just a different tone.