#123410  by Walknbluez

BassPlayerLB wrote:I'm not too sure about that cab but after watching the Furthur webcast last night it looks like Phil would agree with me. For the Sweetwater shows (which is about as small a venue as Phil will ever play nowadays) he was using a wt-800 and 2 D410XLT's. I noticed him messing with his EQ settings on the head a lot and he spent much of the set break playing around with it. If you get a chance to watch this weekend check it out. There were a lot of good shots of his EQ settings also!
I'm not ruling out an Eden 410XLT. But it could be a while before I find one used locally and so the Genz Benz could be a transition cab. From your comment above I wasn't sure what you were really saying about the Genz Benz cab, i.e. bad or good.

One person who has owned both cabs said this: "Many years ago, I had an Eden D410XLT, and later had a pair of 210XST's. I wasn't very impressed with those cabs. They were okay, and could get the job done, but they just didn't seem to have much life to them (for lack of a better description)"

But I take that with a grain of salt especially since Phil is using them so they've got to be good.
 #123418  by BassPlayerLB

Walknbluez wrote:
BassPlayerLB wrote:I'm not too sure about that cab but after watching the Furthur webcast last night it looks like Phil would agree with me. For the Sweetwater shows (which is about as small a venue as Phil will ever play nowadays) he was using a wt-800 and 2 D410XLT's. I noticed him messing with his EQ settings on the head a lot and he spent much of the set break playing around with it. If you get a chance to watch this weekend check it out. There were a lot of good shots of his EQ settings also!
I'm not ruling out an Eden 410XLT. But it could be a while before I find one used locally and so the Genz Benz could be a transition cab. From your comment above I wasn't sure what you were really saying about the Genz Benz cab, i.e. bad or good.

One person who has owned both cabs said this: "Many years ago, I had an Eden D410XLT, and later had a pair of 210XST's. I wasn't very impressed with those cabs. They were okay, and could get the job done, but they just didn't seem to have much life to them (for lack of a better description)"

But I take that with a grain of salt especially since Phil is using them so they've got to be good.
O sorry. I was saying I don't have experience with the Genz Benz. You can always look on ebay or guitar center used for an Eden 410XLT. Most places nowadays will ship it for free too. And I don't know what that other guy was talking about, but the Eden cabs have more "life to them" then most if not all other cabs I've played. That's why I personally like them. They have a very distinct, clean sound that makes it noticeably Eden.
 #123468  by Walknbluez

BassPlayerLB wrote:
Walknbluez wrote:

O sorry. I was saying I don't have experience with the Genz Benz. You can always look on ebay or guitar center used for an Eden 410XLT. Most places nowadays will ship it for free too. And I don't know what that other guy was talking about, but the Eden cabs have more "life to them" then most if not all other cabs I've played. That's why I personally like them. They have a very distinct, clean sound that makes it noticeably Eden.
I do see two at Guitar Center used, decent price. I'm just a little concerned about buying sight unseen. The pictures aren't the best.

I think the person who told me that is into a vintage sound and so maybe his interpretation of clean sound is "no life to them".
 #123489  by BassPlayerLB

Walknbluez wrote:I do see two at Guitar Center used, decent price. I'm just a little concerned about buying sight unseen. The pictures aren't the best.

I think the person who told me that is into a vintage sound and so maybe his interpretation of clean sound is "no life to them".
You could probably get them to ship it to the store near you to try. Or buy it and return it within 30 days if you don't like it or if something is wrong with it. I usually hate Guitar Center, but I will say when they have sent me something broken or wrong, it has never been an issue to return it as long as it's within 30 days (new or used).
 #123539  by Walknbluez

I have to say that I absolutely love Phil's tone in the 70's, both the early 70's as well as the '77 period. This is probably the tone I should go for since it's warmer and less modern sounding and matches my equipment better. How would you describe his tone in say '77, other than warm? I ask this because one of the cabs I'm going to check out is "old school or vintage tone but with punch and clarity". I'm just wondering if the "old school or vintage" part of it is something I want to stay away from when compared to Phil's '77 tone. I'm really bad when trying to describe tone :oops: . Check out this Other One from '77: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fksNyg6cr28
 #123560  by BassPlayerLB

Walknbluez wrote:I have to say that I absolutely love Phil's tone in the 70's, both the early 70's as well as the '77 period. This is probably the tone I should go for since it's warmer and less modern sounding and matches my equipment better. How would you describe his tone in say '77, other than warm? I ask this because one of the cabs I'm going to check out is "old school or vintage tone but with punch and clarity". I'm just wondering if the "old school or vintage" part of it is something I want to stay away from when compared to Phil's '77 tone. I'm really bad when trying to describe tone :oops: . Check out this Other One from '77: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fksNyg6cr28
Phil's tone is definitely rounder in the 70's then his modern tone. A lot of that is because he used flat wounds back then and is using either half flats or round wounds now. If you watch the Winderland 78' DVD Phil uses both the Godfather bass and his Mission Control bass throughout that show. The Godfather has round wounds and the Mission Control has flats. You can noticeably hear the difference. The Godfather is definitely a more modern tone and not as round or "vintage" sounding. On the sound clips I posted before, my EQ settings are pretty similar, both running through the same rig (Eden wt-800 and D410XLT). My Gretsch has flat wounds on it and my 5-string has half flats. The Gretsch gets a great 70's Phil tone, as in that Not Fade Away video I posted and my 5-sting gets a much more modern tone. The D410XLT also has a tweeter control on the back and you can turn it down or even off for a more vintage tone.