#100764  by Phil Lesh101

I Was reading up on my very interesting book "Searching For the sound" By Phillip Lesh.
And i came upon a page that Said Phil and his GF Ruth Went to hear jerry's band play called the "Warlocks" (Containing of jerry and pigpen, and sometimes Bobby wier played washtub bass, but later Rythem guitar) Now this was befor phil Stopped playing the Trumpet. :lol:
Now After a rockin' set, Jerry said. " Bobby's here, We'll meet him in the car" so out to bobby's car they went and phil said "He looked 12 or 14 years of age, But man he had some killer Dope" and Later when bob left, For it was a school night
They went back inside and Jerry said "Phil Our bass player isnt cuttin' it.( Not intending Bob).. We have to keep telling him notes and he Cant remember the songs!" Phil thought Jerr. Was kidding. But Jerry Said "Im Serious"
And this is when Phil Started Taking lessons from jerry on how to play.

And heres my question ~ Who Was the ORIGINAL bass player for The Warlocks?
Last edited by Phil Lesh101 on Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #100768  by Charlie

I vaguely remember reading that it was a guy from the music shop where Jerry worked, possibly the son of the proprietor. I'll check my GD Books when I get home from work and if no-one has posted already I'll let you know.
 #100774  by broesau

Yes it was Dana Morgan Jr. His father owned a music store and the Warlocks (Dead) hired him because they could use the guitars, amps and PA from the store for free. I think you may be getting some of the Mother Mcree's Jug band and early Warlocks stuff mixed up. I didn't think Phil ever saw the Jug band just the early Warlocks.

By the way, Phil Lesh 101, you really need to work on your spelling and grammar. It's difficult to decipher just what you are trying to relay sometimes.
 #100778  by Phil Lesh101

broesau wrote:Yes it was Dana Morgan Jr. His father owned a music store and the Warlocks (Dead) hired him because they could use the guitars, amps and PA from the store for free. I think you may be getting some of the Mother Mcree's Jug band and early Warlocks stuff mixed up. I didn't think Phil ever saw the Jug band just the early Warlocks.

By the way, Phil Lesh 101, you really need to work on your spelling and grammar. It's difficult to decipher just what you are trying to relay sometimes.
thanks for the info! But Phil Saw A bunch of Jug bands.
 #100817  by willmusic

I'd read in several books that it was hard to let him go mainly cause they'd no longer be able to borrow gear from the store.
I might be mistaken but I feel like I'd seen a few words from him in the Dark Star book, the oral Jerry biography. My copy has long been lost so I can't check myself.
 #102398  by The Stag

hey phil lesh 101 id have to check my books real quick but im pretty sure it was a dude called phil lesh. youve probably heard heard of him before. they changed the name of the band from the warlocks to the grateful dead they did not change bass players haha :oops:
 #102408  by willmusic

The Stag wrote:hey phil lesh 101 id have to check my books real quick but im pretty sure it was a dude called phil lesh. youve probably heard heard of him before. they changed the name of the band from the warlocks to the grateful dead they did not change bass players haha :oops:

I don't think he ever said that about GD, just the Warlocks.
 #102440  by Rusty the Scoob

The Stag wrote:hey phil lesh 101 id have to check my books real quick but im pretty sure it was a dude called phil lesh. youve probably heard heard of him before. they changed the name of the band from the warlocks to the grateful dead they did not change bass players haha :oops:
Um, yeah, they did. Phil went to see a Warlocks show or two as an audience member before ever picking up a bass! Although he later joined the Warlocks so really this thread should be titled "Warlocks' Original bass player"
 #102537  by Phil Lesh101

Title is indeed Changed.
@ The Stag. They Changed the name after Phil Joined, Listen to The Scoob, He Dosen't Lie. 8)