#89003  by ampegbassplayer1969

Hey guys. So for the winter my goal is to build a nice Cowboy knock-off. First, I need to find a suitable guitar to start with. Some of you guys use the Vantage Artist, the Aria Pro II, and I've seen a few other un-named ones. These guitars seem to be pretty rare. I found an Aria Pro II, but it has a broken truss rod and I'm not sure that i'd like to tackle replacing one. I'm having a hard time finding a guitar with a similar body style to the cowboy, could you guys fill me in on some guitars that have a similar body and decent neck craftsmanship?

Thanks
 #89007  by Grateful Dad

I found a 1979 Ibanez Artist model 2619 on Guitar Center's used inventory list for $500.00 with minor/insignificant body wear for a guitar that old. My luthier set it up and It sounds incredible.
I would start with an Ibanez

I also found a seller of a 1977 Ibanez Artist model 2622 on the internet. He sold it at a low price because it needed body work so it is at the luthier shop now getting stripped to the wood and refinished. It will be ready sometime in 2011.

If you do pick up an vintage Ibanez Artist (1975-1982 I believe were the "golden age" for these guitars) for your project be ready to put some $$ into it because the poly finish tends to crack around the edges. This was the case with my 1977 Artist that is in the shop.

These are fantastic guitars and if you're looking to build a fancy Cowboy guitar there are many here on this site who have done just what you are doing who will give excellent advice.

If you search ebay, Guitar Center Used Inventory, or the internet you will find that these vintage Ibanez models do frequently go up for sale.

Note: Guitar Center allows you a thirty day money back guarantee on their used items, so if the 2619 I purchased was defective I could have returned it no questions asked. As it turned out the guitar checked out 100% o.k.

Keep us posted and Good Luck!!

This picture I just downloaded from Google images. The model 2618 is on the left and the model 2619 on the right.
 #89009  by mkaufman

There are several models would would be good. The first question I would ask is do you prefer 24.75" or 25.5" necks? The vintage Ibanez Artists (great guitars) are 24.75". The 2618 has 24 frets. The 2617, 2619 & 2622 have 22 frets. The Vantage, Aria Pro II, etc, made by Matsumoko are 25.5". Secondly, I would point out that Weir's guitars were made from ash or mostly ash. The Ibanez 2619 has the trisound switches (really good stuff), however, the body is mahogany with a maple top. The 2617 is made from ash. Of course, none of this may matter to you.

In the end, you must have a middle single coil pickup. That's the key item that would need to be added to any of these guitars.

Fyi:

forum/viewtopic.php?f=420&t=8810&p=8452 ... man#p84523

mk
 #89015  by ampegbassplayer1969

Those artist models are gorgeous. I don't know if I could bring myself to cut one of those open for the middle pick-up. I think I need to go with a cheaper guitar, some kind of artist clone instead of the real thing. Thanks for all of the info so far
 #89018  by mkaufman

That's one reason I went with a Vantage. Very good guitar and costs much less than an Artist.

However, I bought a very nice 2617 that someone had already modded with 3 mini-toggles, so it's 'collectible' value has already been reduced. I think this will be my next project.

mk
 #89057  by ampegbassplayer1969

Ender wrote:Lets strip down your strat, paint it pink, cut it up, drop in the virtual PAF's and then start a band called Red Grenadine, hahahahaha.
But seriously ever think about modding your strat just a little bit more?

No way. I don't wanna hack the body up to add in more knobs and switches.
 #89067  by Dozin

I did my Strat up like Cowboy. No switches and 2 knobs. The humbuckers are wired for single coil and the middle pickups is flipped around and wired backwards. It's all you need. It's a great sounding vintage Weir guitar. I'll play this Strat over any guitar I've ever owned. I haven't even dove into my lighting bolt guitar because I like the Strat so much.
cplayer2 liked this
 #89086  by Dozin

Love it! It's tge tone i've always wanted.
 #89104  by ampegbassplayer1969

Dozin wrote:I did my Strat up like Cowboy. No switches and 2 knobs. The humbuckers are wired for single coil and the middle pickups is flipped around and wired backwards. It's all you need. It's a great sounding vintage Weir guitar. I'll play this Strat over any guitar I've ever owned. I haven't even dove into my lighting bolt guitar because I like the Strat so much.
Interesting. Could you send me some pics, and do you have any recordings of it?

I'm not sure that I want to convert my Strat into a Bobby guitar, as It is the only non-weir sounding guitar that I play - hah