#153241  by Drybonz

Hi guys... I'm looking for some help with my Weir late 80's-early 90's tone. I am using a Line 6 rack effects unit... obviously, this cannot exactly replicate the sound, but I have managed to produce a decent cleaner Weir tone with it... what I am a but stuck on is the distortion sound Bob was using in the late 80's early 90's. I can't seem to get that clear but crunchy sound. If anyone can tell me the specifics of gear and settings that Bob was using, I can try to replicate it with my equipment. I'm not really the most tech savvy guy around, so if you can assume that I know less about the equipment than you might, it would be really helpful to me.

If you guys can help me get my sound right, I really appreciate it... thanks! :)
 #153303  by Drybonz

So, what would really be helpful is some basic information on gear and settings that Bobby was using during this time period. There's a ton of great info on his 70's sound, but I've gone over this forum a couple times and found very little on his late 80's early 90's sound... or even very early Ratdog (even though that is not my focus).

Any info is really appreciated. Thanks, guys.
 #153310  by Drybonz

Great... thank you, I will try that. Do you happen to know anything about the distortion or other effects he was using at that time?
 #153312  by strumminsix

I actually don't. After the Ibanez Stuff I didn't follow his FX all that closely. Sometimes he sounded over processed to me. But he was on the leading edge of new gear so I appreciated the journey!! I've found that the Soldano amps in many modellers easily got me into the neighborhood of Bobby's late 80s tones. Then effects where you could control the wet/dry mix so you can add hints of modulation worked well too. Probably the best modeller that I had for Bobby tones was the 11rack.
 #153330  by Drybonz

It seems like the overwhelming majority prefer that 70's Ibanez tone, at least if the amount of information about it being available is the indicator... and it's a great tone... but I already have a passable (in my opinion) tone for that... so I'm trying to branch out a bit, and want to have a few tones at my disposal... especially for use with the floating trem guitar.

I agree with many people on this forum that the playing makes more difference, but it's good to have the tones that you want too.
 #153332  by strumminsix

Drybonz wrote:It seems like the overwhelming majority prefer that 70's Ibanez tone, at least if the amount of information about it being available is the indicator... and it's a great tone... but I already have a passable (in my opinion) tone for that... so I'm trying to branch out a bit, and want to have a few tones at my disposal... especially for use with the floating trem guitar.

I agree with many people on this forum that the playing makes more difference, but it's good to have the tones that you want too.
I agree. It goes hand in hand. With my custom DR based amp I get really good 76 type tones. And I rely heavily and my overdrive pedals for my 80s tones. So far my favorite for the 80s tones is the Maxon Distortion and sustain pedal.

That sustain with some whammy bar is FUN!
cplayer2 liked this
 #153338  by Drybonz

Yeah, I am using the Pigtronix Philosopher Stone for sustain in front of my effects processor (I used to use the Vox EX processor) and I simply can't get a tone that I like without it any more. I picked up a floating trem guitar so I could start doing some of the whammy bar stuff (which is really what started this quest for the 80's-90's sound) and it's really fun because I feel like it adds a layer of depth to what you can do. The overdrive effect I was using for other tones doesn't seem to cut it for what I am going for now... so the quest continues.
cplayer2 liked this
 #153341  by JDB30

Drybonz wrote:Yeah, I am using the Pigtronix Philosopher Stone for sustain in front of my effects processor (I used to use the Vox EX processor) and I simply can't get a tone that I like without it any more. I picked up a floating trem guitar so I could start doing some of the whammy bar stuff (which is really what started this quest for the 80's-90's sound) and it's really fun because I feel like it adds a layer of depth to what you can do. The overdrive effect I was using for other tones doesn't seem to cut it for what I am going for now... so the quest continues.
Can you please let us know the details of your gear? What kind of guitar/pickups/wiring, signal chain, etc.
 #153343  by strumminsix

IMO good Weir tone is best achieved in layers:
1) quality gear: guitar amp pedals cabling --------> love your tone first!
2) EQ'ing: remove the lowest of lows and highest of highs --------> strong in the low mids all the way thru precense range
3) Limiting: not compressing. Set the Limit to engage maybe a 3:1 just when you hit the strings with medium force with full guitar volume --------> allows dynamics and sustaining which is important with using floating trem
4) Guitar: switches to kick dual coils to series, parallel, single and out of phase --------> need all those available dynamics! that out of phase nails some early Scarlet Fire as well as LL Rain
5) Effects: add in last, do so judiciously, buy used and don't be afraid to play and flip --------> use your ears above what exact gear Weir used.
cplayer2 liked this
 #153344  by JDB30

While I agree with a lot of that, I still think the most important aspects of his (or anyone's) tone is technique and mental approach (knowing where to play and where not to play, etc). You can put a strat and a Marshall in anyone's hands but that ain't gonna make them sound like Jeff Beck. To me, you can put any guitar in Weir's hands with any gear and he's gonna sound like Weir. Because he plays a certain way and THINKS in a very specific musical "language."
 #153345  by Drybonz

Thanks for those tips, strumminsix... that is the type of stuff that is really useful to me. I appreciate it.

JDB, thanks for the question... My gear is pretty modest, and, I'm sure, not completely ideal, but I'm able to get some passable sounds from it. I should also mention that I'm not trying to dial in 100% to Bobby's sound, but just get enough information so that I can get in the general area and maybe add in some of my own preference.

Anyway, I have a '64 reissue strat (1995 I think) modified with sss EMG's. My floating trem guitar is an Ibanez RG body modified with hsh EMG's. My amp is a Mesa Boogie Rocket '44. I have a Line 6 Pod Pro XT rack unit with a Pigtronix Philosopher's Stone before it. I also have a Vox Tonelab EX that I no longer use... I had it before I got the Line 6 (probably going to sell the Vox). Also, I have a Roland Cube that I often use for practicing.
cplayer2 liked this
 #153346  by strumminsix

JDB30 wrote:While I agree with a lot of that, I still think the most important aspects of his (or anyone's) tone is technique and mental approach (knowing where to play and where not to play, etc). You can put a strat and a Marshall in anyone's hands but that ain't gonna make them sound like Jeff Beck. To me, you can put any guitar in Weir's hands with any gear and he's gonna sound like Weir. Because he plays a certain way and THINKS in a very specific musical "language."
Of course. very much agree!! but i thought that went without saying.
 #153347  by JDB30

strumminsix wrote:
JDB30 wrote:While I agree with a lot of that, I still think the most important aspects of his (or anyone's) tone is technique and mental approach (knowing where to play and where not to play, etc). You can put a strat and a Marshall in anyone's hands but that ain't gonna make them sound like Jeff Beck. To me, you can put any guitar in Weir's hands with any gear and he's gonna sound like Weir. Because he plays a certain way and THINKS in a very specific musical "language."
Of course. very much agree!! but i thought that went without saying.
It's surprising how many people always think "gear first." In my experience, the gear gets you the last 10% of the way there. Talent and technique gets you the first 90% and are the most important factors in achieving tone.
 #153349  by Drybonz

JDB30 wrote:It's surprising how many people always think "gear first." In my experience, the gear gets you the last 10% of the way there. Talent and technique gets you the first 90% and are the most important factors in achieving tone.
I listed my gear for you, as requested, above.