Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

#150234  by JDB30
 Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:05 pm
Recycledsole wrote:Thanks everyone!
a few questions:
why would i get an eq pedal when the amp has it? and guitar? just to further modiy the low-mid-high?
The EQ pedal that people like Michael, Dozin & I use is custom built based on the same circuit (and, in some cases, the exact same electronics) that Weir used on board in several of his guitars from the mid 70's-early '80's. It was one of the components of his sound from that era, along with his guitar, pickups, effects and, mostly, his playing style. This EQ can't be replicated by standard EQ's in amps and the tone knobs of guitars. It's active (runs on a 9v DC), has a gain & cut structure, and is 3-way (low, mids, highs). The theory is that these frequencies are tuned very similarly to the onboard EQ that Weir used.
 #150235  by Dozin
 Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:48 pm
I was fortunate that I was able to try the EQ pedal before I bought it. There's something about the circuit of the EQ that shapes the tone like no other. I put the pedal on my Blue Lightning Bolt guitar and was like whaaaaat!? It sounded awesome. I think the gain gives it that sparkle, that chunk, that bell sound with amazing sustain. Light brushes on the string just pop. It's hard to describe. All I know I almost didn't give the pedal back :lol: Just kidding!! I had no problem at all purchasing my own pedal after that experience.

When I originally installed the EQ system in my Hoeg guitar it was good but it didn't blow me away. I recently found out that version 2 was installed in my guitar and not version 1. That's why the 80's AR500s don't nail the tone. Now that I have version 1 in my guitar I'm completely blown away. I'm looking forward to really dialing it in with the band at that louder level :wink:
 #150241  by Dozin
 Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:24 am
They're custom made to order from a fellow in Germany.
 #150290  by Recycledsole
 Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:05 am
Hey guys i bought the JC90 and its pretty sweet! Just what i was looking for instead of the 120.
The reverb doesnt work. Is there a way to fix it?

Also, would it be worth it to buy an ibanez ar620? Is it a good guitar that will get me the tone and style i want?
Last edited by Recycledsole on Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #150291  by Dozin
 Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:24 am
Have you tried hooking up a pedal to activate the reverb? If it was off and the pedal is removed it will stay off. If it was activated with the foot switch and then removed the reverb will stay on.