#139474  by Dozin

Hmmm. If you want to go there I see an inverted A
 #139476  by Lephty

Seems like you can even tell in the picture that there's a certain way that Bob hits the strings that's...let's call it unconventional. He doesn't attack them directly with the pick--the pick is angled upward a bit so that it's not hitting the strings directly. I also think he's probably hitting the strings with his right hand fingernails a bit to soften the blow. I'm sure there are guys who know more about this than me, but that's what it has always sounded (and looked) like to me. This, of course, would make it even harder to cut through the mix.

I wonder if Jon's (OP's) guitar tone is not too loud, but too harsh? Like the highs and/or mids need to be dialed back a bit? It seems to me that to play in this style, you have to BE loud, but not actually PLAY loud, if that makes any sense. You need your sound to cut through, but still play somewhat delicately and spaciously--and in order for that delicate-ness to work, the guitar has to be cranked up pretty loud. Actually quite true for the "Jerry" role too. But if your tone is harsh at all, I can see how it could elicit complaints from the other people in the band. It's quite a balancing act.

Seems to me that Bob's tone w/ Furthur is sometimes on the harsh side...my suspicion is that the old ears don't hear those high frequencies as well as they used to.
 #139674  by Forgotten Space

Sorry guys, been distracted for a couple of days. Some really good stuff. My guitar is an old Ibanez pro line start style with active EMG humbuckers. The issue is that I am not thinking I am coming through on the audience tape, not board, I have plenty of power. Rocktron Velocity 300 and either a 1x12 or 2x 12 depending on the gig. I do think it has to do with what the last poster said. Have to be loud since I am not playing full on barre chords, but my band mates might think I am too load when no one else
Is playing. I agree the tones might also have a lot to do with it too, maybe too much high end in my tone. I tend to listen to them and turn down, maybe I need to go with my gut...
 #139675  by Forgotten Space

Dozin wrote:I'm thinking more along the lines with Lephty. The neck pickup is a little strong. It's too rich and bright. If this applies to you, try playing with just the bridge and middle pickup and find your tone using those two pickups. Eaton plays Cowboy with the neck pickup off the whole show. When I tried this with my band I sounded wAy better. I find the pocket easier and feel I can really connect with the band. The sustain is better too.

I seriously don't think I'll turn the neck pickup back on.

My .02
I think it's worth speaking up for at least,
give it a try ;)
I will try this.