#119342  by strumminsix

Tennessee Jedi wrote:
strumminsix wrote: His background slide playing is fantastic on alot of tunes. That gets missed by most.
I love when my Bob plays the slide esp tunes like Althea
:smile:
Exactly!! 2 others are some late 70s Ramble on Rose and some Lazy River Road! Fantastic stuff!
His style of pinky slide and the other 3 fret is fantastic and intense at the same time!!!
 #119344  by mgbills

Awakening! Sometimes I could FU&% up a free lunch.

Somehow I got the impression that Dozin' was Rich Hoeg. Is Rich a contributor here?

Thanks for that tidbit Dozin. Really interesting. I had never heard even a smidgen of the Brent/Bob saga. Makes perfect sense though.

The complexities of Mr. Weir are more facinating now, than when I started this thread. I love that '70's stuff from Bob.

Any Bob players out there that are purposefully trying to emulate this feed-backy sound?
 #119345  by strumminsix

mgbills wrote:Any Bob players out there that are purposefully trying to emulate this feed-backy sound?
No. He had a similar sound in the late 90s and that's as far as I go with that sound.
 #119352  by Kaifusha

One of my favorite bumper stickers seen at a show - "Bobby fans are people too".

Interesting thread. I love Bobby's approach/playing and agree with Jerry's comment that Bob is the best rhythm guitarist on wheels (or something to that effect). Even his stuff with Brent, while very different, showed how well he listens and adjusts to what is needed in the mix. Brent occupied a lot of the space that Bob did, and I totally get people's preference for his pre-Brent playing. But he became more "angular" I guess and added such great, cool weirdness with Brent playing, that I see that as a manifestation of what a great musical sensibility he has. Further, for me, has been hit and miss, but I agree that he's sometimes not loud enough in the mix, but I haven't listened to enough of them to say much else.
 #119354  by Tennessee Jedi

I dont know how Bob sounds these days but the Dead Movie Bonus DVD is a excellent look at Bobs style at its peak ....
Also .... If I lent you the DVD's .... can I have them back ?????
:-)
 #119361  by Smolder

Dozin wrote:The Strat is really the Pink guitar's replacement. The Pink guitar's neck was replaced with a Hoeg neck. Hoeg guitar necks are built like the Modulus Genesis necks. The Pink guitars neck was painted all black so you couldn't really tell that it was replaced except there was no Modulus logo on the headstock. The Pink guitar was so butchered the bridge was about to fly out of it and there was hardly anything left in the pickup cavity because of all the different combination of pickups that were used in that guitar. Anyway, that's why the Hoeg Strat was built.

Yes, the Blue guitar is nice. Again, with the graphite in the neck that baby stays in tune nicely. If you notice in the Red Rocks pic that the middle pickup on the guitar is facing towards the neck. I asked Rich about it and he was like, shit! Well, he's playing it :lol: I don't know how much difference it makes facing that way?

In regards to Bob in the 80's. (and this has been said many time) Brent really suffocated Bobby's space. In the 70's there was all that room with Keith on piano that let bob just go off on his instrument and be very creative. That time period is definitely why I like the Bobby roll. Blackknifes in general are pretty sterile guitars but they're great for cutting through and making a presence. I think Bobby's playing suffered greatly because of Brent. Now that Ratdog is over and the new band is more like the Grateful Dead. I really think Bobby has stepped it up and is back to exploring.

Have you listened to Bob demonstrate TRI's studio how he can get the room to sound like a stadium or a hall when he hits the sticks against his hand? There's this incredible echo/feedback when he does it. I think that bleeds through to the instruments which produces kind of a unique sound that you may be hearing?

-C

Do you know what pickups he's using? I couldn't imagine them being stock mini hums. fwiw, I rotate my humbuckers so that the active art is facing the other... it gives slightly less difference between the neck and bridge. Less raspy at the bridge, and a little more clarety at the neck.
 #119368  by Dozin

The pickups are allparts mini hums. Most of the time the pickups are facing away from each other. The bridge pickup is a broadcaster.
 #119369  by playingdead

mgbills wrote:Tangent: Vic (if you're out there)....any issues with your Walker and feedback. I saw an old thread where you said it originally had the buffer removed, and that was a problem. I realize that with the AxeFX is may not be apples/apples. Ever play it through your analog equipment.
The problem with the Walker's effects loop was evident through a conventional amp (Vibrolux) as well as through the AxeFX ... it was completely cured with the unity gain buffer installation, though.
 #119385  by Coldshotblues

I noticed the weird screechy sound at Red Rocks last month as well I wasn't very impressed with the sound Bobby seemed to be making, painful at times. I had chalked it up to a bad mix but apparently not. Not digging JK new sound either. Furthur sounded much better the previous tour. Thanks to Phil , Jeff and Joe Russo for saving the night for me.
 #119446  by gr8fullfred

His background slide playing is fantastic on alot of tunes. That gets missed by most.
Are you freaking kidding? Bobby's slide playing is just well, lets just say it ain't great. If you saw the movie night of the Alpine Valley show, at one point Bobby is playing slide, and Jerry is just cringing.
After Bobby is done, Jerry is cracking up.

I am going to admit it, I am one of the "most" that misses the fantastic-ness of Bobby's slide playing.
Here are some of the slide players that hit the mark:

Duane
Derrick
Johhny Winter
Bonnie Rait

Don't misunderstand, Bobby has written some great songs, and is probably one of the best rhythm guitar players out there (don't forget Keith Richards is a rhythm player). Jerry even said once that Bobby is the best in the business. But as great as Bobby is, he will never be remembered for his slide playing. Not favorably anyway...................
 #119449  by Dozin

You can keep the Allman Brothes slides. I'm so glad that era is over.
At least when Bob plays slide he's trying to say something. It doesn't have that boring Allman sound.