#106128  by gr8fullfred

I have been looking at the MXR Carbon Copy. I played it at the music store and I thought it sounded really good (way better than my Boss DD3).
Looks like they are around $125 on the web(new). Anyone using one?
 #106204  by Deadhead85

gr8fullfred wrote:I have been looking at the MXR Carbon Copy. I played it at the music store and I thought it sounded really good (way better than my Boss DD3).
Looks like they are around $125 on the web(new). Anyone using one?
The lead player in my band just picked up a Carbon Copy for a steal ($80)!! Brand new, they run $150 and for roughly $100 on ebay. They sound absolutely outstanding, very warm and the tone just gets nicely saturated as it repeats. The "Mod" button is a nice addition as well. He pulls off incredible Jerry like things with it....afterall, its more or less a modern day version of the MXR Jerry used. The delay he replaced with the Carbon Copy was actually a Boss DD3, and the difference is like "night and day"! One other thing I'll mention (though is obviously the least important feature of a pedal), is the paint job! The dark green paint sparkles like crazy and looks amazing! I highly suggest picking one up!

I recently put my BBE Two Timer up for sale in favor of something a little better. Thought about getting a Carbon Copy, and me being the Bobby player, I know that pedal is more than capable of doing what I wanted it to...some great slap back. However, I decided to go vintage, and bought an Ibanez AD-9, cant wait for it to arrive! To me, it's got more of a Bobby like vibe.
 #106207  by Deadhead85

jeffm725 wrote:
mkaufman wrote:Still looking to get a '74 Weir sound...

mk
Really the 74 Weir tone is all about just a nice Vintage Fender amp paired with a nice Vintage Gibson with Nice vintage Humbuckers... :hail: and you are good to go.

I agree. I have an Ibanez AM73T, an outstanding guitar...swapped the pickups out for Gibson 57 Classic and a 57 Classic Plus. For an amp, I just use my Mesa Boogie MKI...I'm really happy with my 74 tone.
 #107601  by claytushaywood

I'm a hugggeee delay guy. I've been in a few experimental psycadelic and ambient soundscape groups.
I have had an ad9 and a keeley modded ad9- which has a cool infinite repeats function and true bypass as well as less noise. But I still find the ad9 too noisey and tad too dampened to really even hear texture in a band situation.
as far as the carbon copy goes- its pretty cool- but there are much cooler options.
My favorite all time is an old big box deluxe memory man, but those are going over $300 these days.
There is a super cool pedal company called Malekko Heavy Industries and they make some of the best sounding delays in production. Maybe the lowest noise ever. Some of them are expensive. But the Malekko Ekko 616 is $150 and just sounds amazing. Small Footprint with adjustable speed and depth modulation- Can be turned off too. You can select between true bypass and a beautiful sounding buffered bypass as well. The only shortcoming is that you cannot have the repeated delay sound louder than the dry signal... A feature I really dig using for the waterfall effect. I turn my memory man so that the first repeat is louder than dry and the second repeat equal to dry. Another lesser known company that is very popular with pedal steel guys is Strymon- their pedals are digital but they have done amazing things with digital- 32bit sharc processor is amazing. Check out the El Capistan- you basically get a Zvex Lo-Fi Loop Junky included- very cool stuff. Strymon used to be called Damage Control- and their old timeline pedal utilizes tubes in a glorious manner- very awesome sounding pedal. The new strymon timeline is the most versatile delay unit out there

For you DIY guys- I'm actually in the process of building an analog delay, from a new pcb released by guitarpcb.com. It will have a momentary footswitch for temporarily turning the repeats to infinite (like keeleys ad9), modulation, and digital time controller that will allow tap tempo with a note division switch and an in time blinking led. All while utilizing the analog pt2399 chip and my choice of top notch components. I have a feeling this is gonna be one of the best analog delay pedals out there.