#92445  by redbeard

So in my neverending quest to logistically justify finally purchasing the SMS Tube Preamp, I have discovered a PWR IN jack on my trusty rusty old Peavey 150 , mostly bass amp with one big old 15". Now, I know that amp is not of great quality. But basically I've been trying to figure out a way to be able to run the SMS Preamp within my current setup limitations, with the expectation to get a good power amp and a cab in the future, but I am basically wondering if there would be any point to running the SMS into the PWR IN section of an amp like that, whether the Preamp would still shine or be prevented from shining due to the amp. I know with the quality of signal from the SMS, my tone would still be coming through exquisitely, I just wonder if a TNT 150 CAN sound pristine. Also now wondering, as a followup, if I could throw a JBL of some sort in there to be powered by the amps power section and fueled by the SMS. Essentially if this can be done, all I need to do is liquidate a Blues Jr and a 1972 Aims 120w behemoth and I'm on the road. Just ordered my Earth Drive, looking forward to delivery day. Responses always appreciated!

aa
 #92447  by gr8fullfred

It would probably work IMHO. Not quite equal to a Mac and pair of JBLs, but would probably work decently to possibly surprisingly good.

The pedal steel guys use alot of Solid state Peavey stuff and sound very good indeed. Worth a try, but of course you are not exiting from the continuous upgrade cycle, you are only furthur committing yourself to that upgrade cycle, but at least you're enjoying the ride!

Fred
 #92448  by JonnyBoy

So you are needing about 100watts? If it has an effects loop on it, just go in the effects receive. you could also sell both of those things, and get a cheap solid state , have seen 100 watt amps cheap without preamps built in them. I dunno if the "pwr in" on the peavey is going through the amps preamp (tone knobs). if it is, I would think that would color the SMS, at least too much for my taste . I got a crate power block 75 watt stereo and 150 watt mono/bridge for $127 and it also has a backup preamp in it too. It is so small and packs plenty of power. There was a thread not too long ago where someone asked if they could use this $69 100watt stereo solid state amp they found on ebay, nothin fancy and real small. That would be ideal on a budget, imo. Just a non coloring amp to amplify the SMS signal. A Macintosh 250 is essentially the same idea, only that it has a sound of its own that is a welcome addition to the tone, and Jerry used something similar.

FWIW going through my Crate Block into the "input" is way different than bypassing its preamp through the Effects in or even the "CD in" (no cab simulator through there). it may be the same with the peavey too.
 #92452  by tcsned

I agree with strumminsix - the speaker is the weak link. That speaker isn't voiced for guitar and won't have the edge you want. I use my SMS into the effects loop return of my Mesa Mark III and that works great. If you're going to liquidate the Blues Jr and the other amp, I'd do the same with the TNT and find a small rack power amp and a cheap 2x12 or 1x12- something like a Rocktron Velocity 100.
 #92453  by redbeard

Wattage is not the main concern, mainly I'm trying to figure out if what I have in the house here will work well enough with the SMS, in the short term, to tide me over till I can expand further. Our stages are currently limited to my basement, so no big requirements.

The PWR IN does indeed bypass the the preamp of the Peavey, that is what made me think this just might work, seemingly it should work, with the speaker being the issue. Of course that's my least knowledgeable area. I see online that the thing has a 15" 4ohm speaker, can I replace that with a 12" 4 ohm without much issue?

Also just got a lead on a Tubeworks 100w http://denver.craigslist.org/msg/2124885519.html, which would probably just be a better solution all around, I'm just not familiar with that model. A PWR IN bypassing the amp preamp is all that is required, I believe. Anyone?

of course I still have the old AIMS 120w head with the 6x10 cabinet, I'd love to figure out a way to utilize that cabinet without the AIMS head, but the output on the AIMS head that was designed with the cabinet indicates that the power output is at 5ohms, I've never seen anything at 5 ohms and do not know how to figure out if I can just plug into that cab with the ext speaker jack from some amps or what, thats why I'm just gonna probably end up having to get rid of the entire AIMS setup,
 #92459  by Pete B.

You shouldn't have any problem with your plan for the Peavey.
The Volume knob on your preamp is now your Master Volume, so start at Zero and bring it up from there (on the Peavey Steel amps, when using the Power Amp In, there is no Power-Amp volume control, it's full-on.).
 #92780  by TI4-1009

Well, isn't that special....