#90092  by tcsned

gr8fullfred wrote:It probably would work, but it is not what you want. You would be better off using the twin power amp section. Just my opinion.
+1 I think the idea Jerry was going for was more clean headroom and better audiophile quality equipment. There is nothing intrinsically better about splitting the Twin and using a different power amp. If the Twin's power section is the best power you got then use it.
 #90099  by JonnyBoy

Any non guitar playing audiophile would say we are insane to use Macs as guitar amps(heard it myself), which is kinda the same as my brothers above are saying that about this. Yes it can be done, but why? Well, a SS amp sounds different than a tube amp. They are a bit more dynamic when played loud, sometimes even harsh to those that aren't use to it or traditionally play tube amps. Also they lack the natural compression you get from Tube amps at louder volumes. They sound different and behave different too when pushed. As close as they are sonically, they do have their differences. Don't get me wrong, I love a well made tube amp too. :smile: I like to compare it to an automatic or stick shift. Preference and difference, but the car still rolls to point a and b. There was a reason why Jerry didn't go back to tube amps when he was mic'ing anyway. I would assume he liked the tone and dynamics as well as the extra head room. There is something there in this hybrid tone if you do it right, imo.

For all we know, this amp could sound better than a mac, but I have never heard one and I can't say for that reason alone. It could be an awesome guitar SS amp. I would bet it would be at least satisfactory maybe even great, due to the fact they were trying to go for a AB styled tube amp sound. I agree if you have a twin power section, that is great to use especially if thats enough clean head room and you like the sound. I myself hate to maintain tube amps. All the delicate parts and diminishing tone over time, amp dr visits, the whole nine yards. Either way, I prefer the sound of a SS amp with a tube preamp.I Played a Mosvalve twin for years set up on that premise of a tube pre into an SS. The Fender twin pre into a mac is even better imo, thanks Jerry.

I would bet Dimes to Dozens this would be a great amp, by reading the description and what the manufacturer was shooting for tone wise. You actually have me interested here due to its size, I love it. I am sure it is better than most combo SS power sections in most amps. Like I said, you just have to see for yourself and see if you like the behavior of an SS amp V's a tube amp. Don't let its intended use scare you away from finding out, If we did, we wouldn't be using Macs as guitar amps. I do see the point that the Twins section is a better amp than this gizmo. It would probably make an awesome backup, but still, who knows? Could blow a mac out of the water and its stereo!
 #90105  by Imagined Days

Yeah JonnyBoy that's what I'm talkin' about! It may be great! You don't know unless you try, right? I am sick of buying a quintet of power tubes every year or two, and this little guy may possibly get me closer to that clear yet aggressive Jerry tone I love!
 #90118  by rugger

At that price point, how can you go wrong? Try it. If it doesn't work use it for something else...or sell it to me!

John in San Diego
 #90175  by KCJones

That amp and this discussion reminds me of when I read the Crutchfield catalog when it comes in the mail. Whats the deal with car power amps that pack a whapping 1000 watts into the size of a laptop computer for $peanuts. I often wonder if they could be used for monitor amps or some other useful band application. Any thoughts?