rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

#154648  by Searing75
 Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:57 pm
What are you asking for exactly?
 #154649  by waldo041
 Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:10 pm
mthimbe wrote:because customer service is not existent at Wald....??!!
I have answered every one of your emails! And in those i have explained and sent an additional strat layout to you. The instructions show that the Output Jack is a TRS, just like Jeff Mattson's. As i have told you, and the instructions show, That TRS output jack is needed to switch the power on and off to the Buffer. As the instructions show, when you plug the Mono PLUG into the TRS/Stereo Jack output jack, the Ring shorts the Sleeve from Ground to the Battery Negative completing the circuit and turning on the Buffer. Remove the MONO Plug and the circuit is broken and the Buffer is shut off. When you use a MONO TS jack instead of a Stereo TRS jack the Buffer will stay on always draining the battery. SO, with the buffer you need the TRS jack like the instructions show.

The 2nd TRS is for the effects loop as you you described in your email but that is not a part of the buffer so it is not included in the Buffer units instructions. It uses a TRS/Stereo PLUG and the Tip is the SEND to the effects, and the RING is the Return back from the effects. This also has a switch to toggle this Loop out of the signal path, this only bypasses the loop, it does not turn the Buffer on and off.

The signal then goes to the needed 25k Log Volume Knob and then out the TRS Output Jack.

Just like Jeff Mattson's.

~waldo
 #154652  by hippieguy1954
 Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:27 pm
Waldo goes way beyond customer service. You will be hard pressed to find anyone who will help you and follow thru like Waldo does.

Also, having a thorough understanding of how something works before attempting to assemble/build it, has amazing benefits.
 #154653  by mthimbe
 Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:27 pm
So TeeJay.......thanks for the note.....it's my understanding that when you unplug the jack from the guitar that it is turned off.....that's great but like my humbucker I was simply attempting to route the guitar signal out to the effects....back to the guitar and then ultimately out to the preamp via the second jack that is installed.....??

I didn't see anything attached in your note, i.e. no schematics or color diagrams.....??

Can you explain in the terms I'm using how my signal would be routed......in other word I think I'm correct in my fundamental description of my humbucker guitar .....I would like the Strat single coil to work the same way.....???
 #154654  by hippieguy1954
 Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:11 am
It would be wired just like Rosebud only no coil split switches and only two wires from each pickup instead of four like the humbuckers in Rosebud. Just follow the red wires for the signal and the ground wires (in the diagram) coming from the pickups. Your signal wires from the single coils would be white instead of red. Eliminate the wires going to the coil split switches and eliminate the switches. Everything else is the same.

I like the Gary Brawer version because it uses the two 500k tone pots.
http://www.wald-electronics.com/gear_di ... sebud.html
 #154655  by Searing75
 Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:20 am
Use 250k pots with single coils though. Hippieguy was just saying that the layout was simpler with the two pots, as opposed to the three. (One stacked).

I am still a bit confused as to what this guy/gal is looking to do exactly? The diagram Waldo displayed lays it out for you, regardless of whether or not you are using single coils or humbuckers. Like Hippieguy said, lose the coil tap switches, and your good to go. But, again, use 250k pots for tone.

It's sad how a person, due to their own lack of knowledge, can slander someone, or a business, so easily! Sorry, won't talk politics. :lol:
 #154656  by hippieguy1954
 Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:01 am
I like using the 500k tone pots.

Jerry only used the 250k for the sds-1 in Tiger.

He used the 500k for the middle and bridge in Tiger and for all pickups in Rosebud regardless of split single coil or humbucker.

Easy to see in Waldo's diagrams :smile:
 #154657  by Searing75
 Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:51 am
Yeah, I forgot about the fact that I use a 500k in my Phiga Bolt even with my super Distortion alwYs split.

I suppose I was just falling in line with the old tone pot rule: 250k for single coil, and 500k for humbuckers. Automatic thinking. Lol!
 #154658  by hippieguy1954
 Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:09 am
Searing75 wrote:Automatic thinking. Lol!
I hear ya!
 #154659  by waldo041
 Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:09 pm
Mr. Mattsons blue Strat has a universal 250k Tone pot.

He also has 2 TRS Stereo Jacks as I have stated. One for the OBEL and the other for turning the Buffer On and Off with a MONO plug.

I apologize for any miscommunication.

~waldo
 #154660  by Searing75
 Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:28 pm
And, he has his middle pup reversed so that when split, the coil towards the neck is active. Ala Rosebud. Helps correct phasing issues, but also will inherently warm the split tone. Interesting.
 #154663  by mthimbe
 Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:57 pm
Thanks so much for the assistance......wasn't meaning to disparage anyone or anyone's business but in the past Mike.....you allowed me to call you briefly and if you'all note I sent you numerous emails per direction on your website over a period of many days with no responses.
It was out of frustration and desperation that I turned to rukind but if you'll check your inbox I tried to do this without public participation in a private appropriate manner..... Regardless I thank you for your help.....!!

Remember some of us are more guitar player than technician and while I feel margianally competent in what I'm trying to get done I'm obviously not at the level of many of the folks on rukind.

In closing while I can build you a vintage Strat from a tree......my soldering skills are lame at best and I have others do that for me....!! In this regard I was wondering if TeeJay and or Hippie54 might be willing to contact my guitar tech directly for a consulting fee that I would be happy to pay. In the past I dropped off my 24-fret 3- SDS pickup for wiring using the Gary Brewer buffer and my tech was able to speak with him over the phone, review the diagram and got it done. It sounds and works great but now I want to reduce the weight and try a single coil Strat setup.

Again......not trying to be adversarial just trying to get this figured out.....

Sorry Mike if this came off negatively but my guitar is in Houston....been on the road headed to NY and trying to figure this all out under extreme conditions.....including missing Thanksgiving with my wife....!??

Let me know TeeJay or Hippie guy54....thanks.!! Have a good weekend...!! If either of you would like to discuss via cell phone prior to committing let me know and I'll shoot you my number or vice versa. My tech is competent and is a graduate from a renowned luthier school......
 #154664  by mthimbe
 Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:57 pm
Thanks so much for the assistance......wasn't meaning to disparage anyone or anyone's business but in the past Mike.....you allowed me to call you briefly and if you'all note I sent you numerous emails per direction on your website over a period of many days with no responses.
It was out of frustration and desperation that I turned to rukind but if you'll check your inbox I tried to do this without public participation in a private appropriate manner..... Regardless I thank you for your help.....!!

Remember some of us are more guitar player than technician and while I feel margianally competent in what I'm trying to get done I'm obviously not at the level of many of the folks on rukind.

In closing while I can build you a vintage Strat from a tree......my soldering skills are lame at best and I have others do that for me....!! In this regard I was wondering if TeeJay and or Hippie54 might be willing to contact my guitar tech directly for a consulting fee that I would be happy to pay. In the past I dropped off my 24-fret 3- SDS pickup for wiring using the Gary Brewer buffer and my tech was able to speak with him over the phone, review the diagram and got it done. It sounds and works great but now I want to reduce the weight and try a single coil Strat setup.

Again......not trying to be adversarial just trying to get this figured out.....

Sorry Mike if this came off negatively but my guitar is in Houston....been on the road headed to NY and trying to figure this all out under extreme conditions.....including missing Thanksgiving with my wife....!??

Let me know TeeJay or Hippie guy54....thanks.!! Have a good weekend...!! If either of you would like to discuss via cell phone prior to committing let me know and I'll shoot you my number or vice versa. My tech is competent and is a graduate from a renowned luthier school......
 #154665  by mthimbe
 Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:39 pm
I can be reached discreetly at (832) 771-8315 and I look forward to hearing from any "recognized experts" that might assist my guitar tech directly for a consulting fee. No sense not getting paid for your efforts and what you know......?? Let me know. Thanks
 #154666  by TeeJay
 Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:50 pm
If I am an "expert" god help us all.