#88571  by milobender

I had to do some serious belt sanding on the back! Definately, the wood was dented, like a golf ball...
Who owned that thing before you did :x ?
:lol:
Brian
 #88572  by milobender

Actually, I think he/she (the previous owner) deserves a thanks for all the damage :cool: ... otherwise I wouldn't have wanted to remove the finish and it we would never have seen how lovely it is under all that stain. It's way better looking now.

Tom, do you have a picture of it before you sent it to me?

Brian
 #88573  by Tennessee Jedi

I cant even remember how much I paid for the used and abused guitar let alone who I got it from ....
:D
Cant wait to see how the pick guard looks on it .....
:smile:
Good things ahead !
 #88575  by milobender

Stainless steel pickguard and switch plate, chrome tele knobs and smaller black knobs.
 #88635  by milobender

Tennessee Jedi wrote:The finish process a apply finish/sand over and over .....
Maybe Bri will chime in
Sorry Tom, I missed this originally... The finish is a Tung Oil, hand applied finish. I don't have a place to spray a finish, and actually, I don't care for the toxic nature of spraying finishes, and so, I haven't created a space to spray... I've done it before, with Nitro-cellulose... and of course, it's the 'normal' nice finish... but I like the Tung oil better. It takes longer to apply, I'll put at least 30 coats on it before the end. I tried a grain filler this time, to try to cut the time spent filling open grain with Tung Oil, but I didn't like the way it went, sanded it all down to the wood again, and now, the grain is entirely filled, and the coats are starting to build.
 #88643  by jkstraw

Well worth the TLC - the guitar finish looks amazing. Tom is going to be one happy guy when it arrives!
 #89169  by milobender

...just an update... barring any unforseen craziness, I'll be putting the final coat of finish on her today :smile: final sanding to 18000 grit, buff, polish,
and begin re-assembly next week!

Tom, what size strings do you use?

Brian
 #89170  by Tennessee Jedi

10's to 46/48 or so ... bigger the 6th string the better
Aw man getting excited now
 #89171  by milobender

I use .011s now, but I've got a set of D'Addarios with a .010 on top and .046 on the bottom... will those do?
 #89222  by Grateful Dad

Tennessee Jedi wrote:10's to 46/48 or so ... bigger the 6th string the better
Aw man getting excited now
TJ Dude,

Give me a buzz when you're ready to fire that geeter up and jam. I would like to have the honor of being in the first jam with the Frankenwolf!

:hail: