#80031  by williamsaut

Hey, I'm a new member of this forum and I also spent alot of time and money searching for the sound. I can feel for your wanting to get some equipment to get going. Having some stuff to play with is more important than quality in the beginning. YOU JUST WANT TO PLAY RIGHT?!

A Fender MIM strat is a great place to start. About $400 should get you a guitar that will play and make the sounds you want.

As for an amp, I believe that the late '80's early '90's FENDER SIDEKICK REVERB 20 would be a good first amp for you. One just sold on Ebay for $56 ! These little 1x10" speaker 20 watt spring reverb amps are great kick around practice amps. It will have a little trouble comping rythm chords in a live music situation with a drummer but single note lead work will still cut through. This Amp will end up being you backup when you move on the bigger and better( louder ) things.

Just remember, It's got to be THIS model. The six knob amp with a line out and headphone jack on the back. Knobs are Volume, Master, Treble, Middle, Bass and Reverb. Sounds best with Volume and Master knobs on 5. Fender made alot of junk right after this series of amps and still make a 'sidekick' amp that's truely worthless. I've attached a picture to help you identify it.

Good luck and play every day!
Will
 #80042  by mijknahs

It's true. My friend has one of these and he uses it to play along with tapes, etc. It has a great low volume sound. Especially with a Strat.