rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

#48875  by Chuckles
 Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:25 am
petcat wrote:Ah, yes Playing, I have seen your rig, very, very nice and thanks - some of it was my inspiration. The sound of the Twin compared to the Boogie Mk III I had been playing is completely different, not bad with the Casio, but this setup is getting very close to The Sound and better for the Further.
I'll see about some recording files, but I only recently got the Twin preamped and am getting used to it. Have only rehearsed with the guys a few times so I'm not totally nailed down yet - plus the band is just getting off the ground.
Boston, being the other side of the Hudson, is my mother's territory, and I'm not ready to roll in there yet...

The OP has the loop setup in the > effect > effect format
That is one sick rig!

Did you say you're in DC? Who are you playing with?

#48879  by playingdead
 Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:45 am
petcat wrote:The OP has the loop setup in the > effect > effect format
Ah, so each ( ) equals a loop. Very nice!

Curious as to why you are using an EQ in the loop with the Mutron III? And do you use the Phase 100 with the overdrives -- for a "Far From Me" type tone -- and if so, which order do you prefer, overdrive before the phaser or after?

Also, I find my Boss EQ to be extremely noisy when it's not set flat, how is yours doing?

#48902  by tigerstrat
 Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:18 am
playingdead wrote:I'm curious how the Alembic sounds with their electronics and pickups,
Check out Scott Law. Although he plays acoustic for Honkytonk Homeslice, Banjo Killers etc, he also plays fierce funky electric in Piano Throwers, Strings For Industry... also the Comes A Time concert (oh wait he actually played Wolf for that I forgot)

His Further has the Alembic electronics, played through a SF Pro Reverb and various high end effects. Sorry no link... have to hop off...

#48906  by Tennessee Jedi
 Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:49 am
Link Tease !

#49674  by clifton hanger
 Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:54 am
hey vic. thanks for gracefully answering a myriad of my questions.

what cae buffer do you have. cb1 cb2 or jangletone?

#49676  by playingdead
 Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:02 pm
I believe the one in my Resurrection is the CB-1 ... it's definitely not the Jangletone, because they asked me if I wanted it, and I said no.

I definitely have the CB-1 in my Jerrycaster, which was built in 03, and the guitars sound similar.

I'd also check out Waldo's buffer, which is based on the actual one in the real Tiger. If I could solder, I'd pop that one in my guitar ... LOL

V

#49679  by clifton hanger
 Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:28 pm
could you share some details / pics of the jerrycaster perhaps?

#49682  by playingdead
 Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:41 pm
Sure ... it's just a mid-80s American Strat, pewter metallic with a rosewood fingerboard. I used Dozin's old schematic, added a pair of DiMarzio Super 2's and an SDS-1 in the neck position, the original CAE buffer. We did modify it slightly by putting a dual tone control on there so I have separate control over the neck and bridge pickup on the same knob.

My Tiger has a meatier sound because of all the wood, but the guitars are fairly similar, aside from the Tiger having three Super 2's in it.

Not too many picture of it, though ... but you can see the double tone control on here :-)

#49683  by clifton hanger
 Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:54 pm
looks killer. i might make one of these down the road but out of a b bender tele.

do you have any sound clips of it? can it be heard on any of your tunes posted on your site.?

#49684  by tigerstrat
 Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:15 pm
playingdead wrote: Image
Looks like you have dual cables on the Strat, Vic. Where did you locate the FX loop jack?

#49686  by RiverRat
 Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:36 pm
Last edited by RiverRat on Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#50844  by Phatboy
 Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:43 am
no way jerry used all those effects IMHO. It would have left him w no guitar tone at all. Every pedal decreases the tone by 2-5 % soo say 5 pedals is 25% tone loss :?