#45  by the11

can anyone tell me what amp jerry was using, or amps he used.... i love his 60's sound too,,,,, any knowledge out here?????
 #48  by biggjjuan

i have come pretty close to jerrys tone with both fender deluxes and twins i have seen photos of him playing with both of these amps numerous times

#55  by Guyute24

hey the11, check out www.dozin.com they've got jerry's, bob's, and phil guitars and their setups, plus pics of the wall of sound, and jerry schematic on his rig, peace, michael
 #388  by the11

much obliged, damn i forgot about these message boards, where's all the action at??

#954  by Tom

hey, fairly new to the dead(comparativley) but was talking w/ my dad and he said that a Mesa boogie was also used. not sure of dates or if its true. but, i can say that they sound great, sitting 4feet from one atm lol

Peace,
Tom

#988  by jahozer

I think I remember reading there was a brief time that he played them. I will search some sites when I get home.
Messas always make me want to play Queen songs!
They break up real nice.

#1663  by strumminsix

Jerry, to the best of my knowledge, did not use Mesas. Bobby, on the other hand, definately used Mesas in the 90s. The early Jerry sounds came from the Fender Twin Silverface's preamp. He took the signal from the preamp into another poweramp to drive his on-stage cabs.

#2237  by tigerstrat

Garcia used Mesa/Boogies briefly in two phases of his career:

3/23/75(possibly earlier) to 10/3/76: Mark I (or Super 60) combo preamp-only out to the usual (by this time) MC2300 power amp(s)> JBL K-120 speakers. At the July 76 Orpheum run he is actually using an MC3500 tube power amp.

Feb+March 1980(JGB only): Mark IIA head, again preamp-only out to an MC2300>JBL E-120 speakers

#2245  by tigerstrat

Classic example of the Mark I would be One From The Vault(8/13/75), while the Mark IIA is gorgeously showcased on After Midnight, the 2/28/80 live release.

Weir also used a Mark I Boogie head throughout 1976 (again the setup at the Orpheum 7/76 is a little different: Bob appears to be using two of his old Twins tucked under the drum riser), and a Mark I (or proto-IIA?) head throughout 1977. Then in some 1978 shots you begin to see a "Peavey" logo looming out of the darkness behind him...

#2246  by tigerstrat

They are also probably all over the mid-late 70's studio albums.

#2507  by whitelacestrange

god knows what owsley made that "wall of sound" out of. probrobly some top dollar stuff. the dead were known to have the best equiptment, since they were funded by some pretty wealthy chemists if you know what i mean.

#2758  by tigerstrat

Hundreds of 15",12" and 5" JBL drivers, dozens of EV HF-horns, many, many MC2300 power amps, and of course several tons of Baltic birch.

#5747  by aiko

Jerry, used mesa boogies in the studio only.....everything live began with a twin blackface or silverface,.....and then went through the mac and the rest of the jerryizing machine!

#5752  by tigerstrat

aiko wrote:Jerry, used mesa boogies in the studio only.....everything live began with a twin blackface or silverface,.....and then went through the mac and the rest of the jerryizing machine!
Simply not true. I'll just re-post this info FYI; this is in reference to Jerry's LIVE gear:

"3/23/75(possibly earlier) to 10/3/76: Mark I (or 'Super 60') combo preamp-only out to the usual (by this time) MC2300 power amp(s)> JBL K-120 speakers, usually in several 2x12's. At the July 76 Orpheum run he is actually using an MC3500 tube power amp.

Feb+March 1980(JGB only)
: Mark IIA head, again preamp-only out to an MC2300> 4x12 w/ JBL E-120 speakers"

There's lots of pics around to back me up

#10365  by acidrain30005

I read in a guitar magazine that Jerry's favorite amp was a Fender Twin Rverb and that would help you get a good Jerry tone.