#157377  by gdrfk1990

I'm thinking if getting a new amp does anyone think a system like this would work?... also any thoughts on the Vibrolux 50w 1 -12 re-issue Or I was thinking of having Mojotone make me a 50w Twin type circuit in a Deluxe package. I don't think I want 100w Twin A because it's heavy and B because it's loud but I might go that direction too.
 #157385  by Searing75

I love my SMS into a Carvin DCM200L into a JBL K120 at the moment! (Usually use an MC50, but my back is hurt, and the Carvin only weighs 4.5 pounds while sounding vert close to the McIntosh). Those Quilter Amps sound amazing, and great for Jerry tone.
 #157391  by gdrfk1990

I am going to have to try one of those quilters 100w 33lbs and the amp detaches if you want to use an external speaker.. Made in America too I think I know the product rep maybe I can get a deal as well :-)
 #157520  by SarnoMusicSolutions

gdrfk1990 wrote:This would be direct into a Powered PA speaker.. Didn't Jerry go direct Preamp to PA no Mac 93-95 ?

Yes he did, and it was a human travesty. :)

Seriously, going direct thru a full-range speaker is a horrible idea if you want a good Jerry tone. It's a terrible sound, all that unwanted, glassy high treble just jabbing you in the ear with needles, no midrange harmonic character, no singing aluminum dustcap, just a perfectly undesirable tone.

I like to repeat this idea now and then. Acknowledging that Jerry's tone with the GD died in '93, basically from the late 60's till '93, there was ONE constant factor that largely defined Jerry's tone; the JBL 120 12" speaker. Sure we can find alternatives that offer similar characteristics, some better suited for low power guitar amps, some better suited for ultra-light cartage, but I still argue that the centerpiece behind Jerry's tone, other than Jerry himself, is the JBL.

A full range speaker is the antithesis. When we slam and saturate a JBL with all those strong highs, that sweet, tubey, sizzling, blazing treble, the JBL naturally rolls off the unwanted ultra-high stuff well above the "tone" range because of the natural frequency response limitations of the speaker itself and turns it all into a sweet, smooth, juicy tone quality some of which emanates from the resonant aluminum 4" dust cap. A guitar speaker also gives a voice, a midrange character, a coloration to the sound to the point that it's actually part of the instrument. But thru a hi-fi, full range speaker, all the character and dynamic response disappears and all we're left with is pure sterility, lifeless and soul-less tone. Run screaming from the EON powered PA speaker or any other full range speaker when going for a Jerry tone. That's a road less traveled for good reason.

The only case where the full-range speaker approach seems to work OK at all is thru digital modeling where the algorithm is emulating the natural speaker rolloff and saturation. But that's an entirely other realm than the pure, analog guitar "amp" approach thru the right tube pre and maxed power amp into carefully saturating JBL's.

B
 #157521  by ac4468

gdrfk1990 wrote:I am going to have to try one of those quilters 100w 33lbs and the amp detaches if you want to use an external speaker.. Made in America too I think I know the product rep maybe I can get a deal as well :-)
I don't think you'll get the tone out of the Quilter with the detachable head. I think the Micropro Mach II is the only Quilter that has what you need to get there. But it's only 7lbs.
 #157523  by strumminsix

If this is really your goal, you'll need a 2 Note Torpedo CAB.

http://www.two-notes.com/en/torpedo-cab

Run the SMS to that, have it simulate the poweramp, JBL, and mic, and then to your EON.

Or get something like a Axe FX or Line6 Helix or Atomic Amplifire, hi pass over the lows, low cut under the highs, and go that route.
 #157525  by chipperj

FWIW, I am about to list my SMS pre and a Rocktron Velocity 300 on Reverb.com. It's a great rig (you'll still need a JBL).
I'm only selling it because I mostly use it as a backup these days, and I need the dough. PM me if you (or anyone else) want.
I'd much rather sell it to somebody on this forum.
 #157539  by TRG

SarnoMusicSolutions wrote:
gdrfk1990 wrote:This would be direct into a Powered PA speaker.. Didn't Jerry go direct Preamp to PA no Mac 93-95 ?

Yes he did, and it was a human travesty. :)

B
ha,ha - THIS!
 #157635  by gdrfk1990

That's funny Brad thanks ultimately I actually put a jbl k120 in my fender drri. I also did Mike's suggested tube mods a solid state. Rectifier and philips 6l6s and I put an au7 in the reverb slot. It sounds sweet very close to what I was hearing from billbill's rig last week but not loud. I keep hearing from sound guys that my deluxe 22 watt is the perfect stage volume where I put it at 3 and everyone else is too loud( both people in my band and out) so I am fighting the urge to bring my stage volume up. Most sound guys will give it to me in the monitor. Plus I like the small package