rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

#155274  by strumminsix
 Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:28 pm
In my non Jerry search I found that a Barber LTD SR sound most like an amp being naturally pushed into OD.

For a straight up JG OD, Earth Drive is where it's at IMO.

The pedal market is filled with lots of options. But if you look carefully you'll find it's:
Boutique in the 200 + camp
Small runs (Maxon, zvex, cmatmods, keeley) in the 150+ camp
Then you have all the Boss etc in the sub 100 camp

You get what you pay for.
 #155284  by Free Jazz
 Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:29 pm
strumminsix wrote:In my non Jerry search I found that a Barber LTD SR sound most like an amp being naturally pushed into OD.
Luckily for me, I found that pedal first, and it's been a perfect complement to the wooly '68 P-90 tones and the '69 HB tones. I have yet to revisit and attempt the magic of April '71, so if others care to chime on how to capture that elusive signature, do reveal, please. With your Strat, I'd expect the Barber LTD to deliver the late '69/early '70 tones beautifully, but I've never tried it yet.
 #155291  by strumminsix
 Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:28 am
Free Jazz wrote:
strumminsix wrote:In my non Jerry search I found that a Barber LTD SR sound most like an amp being naturally pushed into OD.
Luckily for me, I found that pedal first, and it's been a perfect complement to the wooly '68 P-90 tones and the '69 HB tones. I have yet to revisit and attempt the magic of April '71, so if others care to chime on how to capture that elusive signature, do reveal, please. With your Strat, I'd expect the Barber LTD to deliver the late '69/early '70 tones beautifully, but I've never tried it yet.
Yup. For me there are 3 pedals that haven't left my board in many years: Barber LTD SR, Maxon PH350, Emma Discumbobulator. All others have come and gone...
 #155292  by Capt Rosebuddy
 Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:06 am
I'm sorry I can't resist adding on to this, I realize you have selected something.

Live Dead is such an amazing example of great amp crunch, super touch sensitive sounding and really squishy and sweet. I'd check out some of the Marshall in a box type pedals, I have the Wampler Plexi Deluxe and I really like it because it has a 3 band eq, and you can gain it up pretty good. The Live Dead band I have always thought of as just insanely loud young dudes diming the amps and melting faces for 3 hours. Not so different from what Led Zeppelin was doing right around the same time. I'd also maybe check out a Mojo Hand Extra Special, it's a really crunchy kind of Dumble thing, and I feel like rolling off the guitar volume would be a really hip sound from that guy.

Finally, a cheepo fix might be just add a Boss EQ after whatever kind gain pedal you are already using,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxGftBt4Jrk
These dudes took me to school on that trick. It's really all about eq.
 #155294  by TI4-1009
 Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:10 pm
brbadg wrote:Right but those Boss eqs are so damn noisy.
Not after a mod with one of these:

http://www.monteallums.com/pedal_mods.html