rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

#155176  by Darkstar860
 Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:30 pm
I recently bought a 12ft 9v ext cable, that plugs into my pedal board (powered) and I have an adapter at the other end that plugs into a 9v battery. It fits my guitar but i havnt had the time to try it. But it would allow me to not use a 9v battery and be able to rely on a power source. I only need a 9-12ft cable when I play anyway. Has anyone else tried to do this before ? And if so were there any problems? Just checking before I try it out.

Much love

:-)
 #155177  by williamsaut
 Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:43 pm
I would think that that would work yes, but for hum cancellation reasons, I always thought it better to run just the battery in the guitar. Batteries are technically better for all the pedals too but I got sick of dealing with that many years ago. Using a battery for the guitar is just one less ground loop to worry about IMO. But yea, that should work just fine running power to your guitar's buffer. What I really wish I could find is a wireless onboard guitar FX loop. Going wireless is the ultimate in hum cancellation but unless the obel is too,..
 #155178  by Searing75
 Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:53 pm
I did it with a one spot for years. Worked great. No noise. If you use a one spot, and splice on an 1/8th inch plug, be sure to know that the one spots sleeve is positive, and it's inner white, negative.

Although, I did go to a battery about a year back. Don't remember why exactly? Geesh. Getting old!
 #155179  by Darkstar860
 Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:01 pm
Wireless OBEL hmmm... thats interesting thought.

:idea:
 #155181  by Darkstar860
 Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:25 pm
Works perfectly so far. :-) (9v cable etc)
 #155199  by Rusty the Scoob
 Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:23 am
I ran 18V from a wall-wart into a couple of my basses for a while, I installed a separate 1/4" jack for it and built some nice dual-cables with tech-flex sleeving and all that. Eventually, though, I decided changing batteries once in a while is less of a hassle than setting up extra stuff at every gig.