#155129  by Darkstar860

I cant get a straight answer but should I add an onboard buffer to my wolf to help the volume stay consistent when I turn on and off the FX Loop switch (OBEL) and bypass the effects?

I own a Wolf with an OBEL setup, but I dont know if you can install a onboard buffer or not. Or how to do so.

I seem to see a huge difference when I flip from (Mono) to flipping the toggle to (Stereo, Obel), (Mono is much quieter (Significant loss in Volume), while the Obel perfect). Even with my BBE boost off (which is the only pedal that boosts the signal in the FX chain). There is a significant drop in the volume.

Also if its needed to even out this issue, how would I wire it etc? Would i now have two 9v batteries in my guitar ? Im just trying to figure it all out and any help would be awesome ! :-)

Thanks and keep on truckin !

:D
 #155132  by Darkstar860

hippieguy1954 wrote:Is there a battery in the guitar now?

Yes

I have the guitar setup like Jerry had his Wolf. Flip the mini toggle up and effects loop is on, flip it down and it bypasses the fx loop. But when I do bypass the loop the volume drops.
 #155133  by Darkstar860

I have the current setup:

Twin Reverb into two 2x12's with E-120s

Guitar with Mono to the amp and Stereo to the box that creates the loop.

Pedals:

Boss TU2>Mu Tron 3X>TC delay>BBE Boost>BBE Sonix Max.

Even if the Boost is off on the FX chain and I switch to mono there is a drop.
 #155134  by Poor Peter

Im sure others more knowledgeable than I will chime in but it would seem to me that if u installed Waldos OBEL your problems would be solved. A quick search will bring up the wiring schematic. Its wired before the volume pot which I think is the problem you are describing. I don't know for sure though. I probably should have let more intelligent minds respond.
 #155135  by Darkstar860

Poor Peter wrote:Im sure others more knowledgeable than I will chime in but it would seem to me that if u installed Waldos OBEL your problems would be solved. A quick search will bring up the wiring schematic. Its wired before the volume pot which I think is the problem you are describing. I don't know for sure though. I probably should have let more intelligent minds respond.

Hmm... where would I purchase? I read somewhere else someone had a Waldo Obel Pedal ? But thank you for your help :-)
 #155137  by TeeJay

The preamp should be working or not working. It doesnt make sense that it works in the OBEL but not bypassed. Nothing is stereo here by the way. Its all mono, send/return, or bypassed. Is this a Phred wolf?
 #155139  by TeeJay

Maybe the preamp is wired only in the OBEL? That would account for the drop as the bypassed signal is not preamped. Check the wiring. The preamp should be before the loop and volume. You should not need any other external buffers/boosts unless you are adding dirt. The onboard preamp drives the whole thing.
 #155140  by Darkstar860

TeeJay wrote:Maybe the preamp is wired only in the OBEL? That would account for the drop as the bypassed signal is not preamped. Check the wiring. The preamp should be before the loop and volume. You should not need any other external buffers/boosts unless you are adding dirt. The onboard preamp drives the whole thing.

I must have explained this wrong... Or hmmm... thats a good idea to check.

Both outputs work regardless of if I have OBEL on or OFF (mini toggle switch). Its just that bypassing the effects (by switching the mini toggle) is not as loud. It is about 10% or so less to my ear in volume if not more. How would i know if if the bypass signal is not preamped ? The bypass works without a battery so I think you are right. Just wish I had an image to look at lol.
 #155141  by TeeJay

How would i know if if the bypass signal is not preamped
The preamp input wire should go to the pickup selector switch so its first after the 5 way. Then the preamp output goes to the bypass toggle. That way the preamp is never bypassed.
 #155142  by hippieguy1954

What is the battery for? Do you already have a buffer in the guitar? If not, you want the stock TPC1 Waldo buffer. The OBEL does not require a battery. The buffer does.

And, YES, all the info in in diagrams on Waldo's site. Scroll to the bottom for the diagram.
http://www.wald-electronics.com/gear_di ... /wolf.html
 #155143  by Darkstar860

hippieguy1954 wrote:What is the battery for? Do you already have a buffer in the guitar? If not, you want the stock TPC1 Waldo buffer. The OBEL does not require a battery. The buffer does.

And, YES, all the info in in diagrams on Waldo's site. Scroll to the bottom for the diagram.
http://www.wald-electronics.com/gear_di ... /wolf.html

Without a 9v the fx loop doesnt work when I flip the switch, so this is making me think the mono jack isnt included with the 9v pre amp so hence the reason there is a volume drop. I gotta get my glasses on to figure this out, seems like a quick fix but damn a picture would help lol. I see the diagram but im still a tad slow/lost lol. My bad. Lemmi see what I can figure out. Thank you very much everyone for your help. :-)
 #155144  by Darkstar860

TeeJay wrote:
How would i know if if the bypass signal is not preamped
The preamp input wire should go to the pickup selector switch so its first after the 5 way. Then the preamp output goes to the bypass toggle. That way the preamp is never bypassed.
Damn do i feel like Ozzy right now. lol. I am taking a look to see if i can figure this out.
 #155145  by Darkstar860

So i dont need to add a Buffer. I just need to rewire it, so the 9v is in use with both outputs (Which would mean i dont need a buffer?).

I cant seem to find a diagram I can quite understand this quick fix. Damn I hate brain farts