rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

#154806  by shadowboxer
 Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:30 am
Agree with Dr. Kevorkian above. It's all in relation to where the harmonics are (ex., the harmonic where the Strat neck pickup is), and not where the nut is. Here's a little physics tutorial on guitar string harmonics. Of course, all of this only applies to the open string. When you fret, the harmonic relationships change.
http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/s ... -Harmonics
 #154809  by hippieguy1954
 Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:15 am
Great info in this thread as well as this diagram posted by Waldo.
forum/viewtopic.php?f=426&t=12827&p=118 ... on#p118388

I found out very quickly, that the 25 1/2" scale is key as well as the pickup location. That is why I always tell folks looking for Jerry tone to play a Strat if they do not have another 25 1/2" scale guitar to mod.
 #154847  by gratefulredhead
 Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:40 pm
MattMan wrote:Hi Stacy, Nice work!

Tone is definitely Jerryified. You play and sing very well, and band is tight.

For tone, maybe a touch more plate reverb and a touch more brightness?

My new axe is also an modded 1978 MC200 that Leo from ScarletFire Guitars just finished working on. Man that's a heavy axe! My PRS is several pounds lighter, but I do like the sustain of the Ibanez and I'm starting to really like the neck. Given the 24 & 3/4" scale, Leo routed the entire pup cavity so that he could mount the pups so they match Jerry placement from the nut. On the PRS, I left the existing bridge and neck pups and mounted the middle pup in between equidistant, so to match distance from the nut similar to Jerry, I use the bridge side middle coil using an on-on-on mini switch (neck coil-hum-bridge coil). It's quite interesting the difference in tone between the bridge- and neck-side coils!

Keep on Truckin' Stacy!

Thank you Matt, I will def experiment with the coil positions on middle pup. I like the set up you have. Mine is seriesHB/split/parallel HB. I may try your method.

Best wishes!

Cheers, MattMan
 #154848  by gratefulredhead
 Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:44 pm
hippieguy1954 wrote:Great info in this thread as well as this diagram posted by Waldo.
forum/viewtopic.php?f=426&t=12827&p=118 ... on#p118388

I found out very quickly, that the 25 1/2" scale is key as well as the pickup location. That is why I always tell folks looking for Jerry tone to play a Strat if they do not have another 25 1/2" scale guitar to mod.

I have an LTD "Strat" that I put Voodoo 69s in. I love that one- I have an OBEL in it, but I think it needs a blaster to really give the oomph I'd like. It's a little thin, or it use it more. (but it doesn't have the visual mojo of my Ibanez- not that that really matters- plus I've had the MC200 since '86, so I'm very attached to it's feel.)

If I had an income larger than a musician's, I'd get an Alembic Furthur and call it good!