#154748  by gratefulredhead

Hey gang here's a clip from a club called RIBCO in Illinois. I started it on Ramble Rose, cuz we played it pretty well. I'm wondering what you all think of my mid 70's Jerry tone. Modified 78 Ibanez MC200 with vintage Super Distortions from a 79 Gretsch BST. Obel, blaster. Just playing straight into amp with this cut. I have no idea how imbed a video here, so if I post the code would somebody be kind enough to walk me thru the embedding process?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/S1N8gwHakSs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I would love some objective feedback. Thanks!

Stacy
 #154762  by hippieguy1954

Your tone, for the most part, sounds good. Not sure if it's the way it was recorded, but something sounds slightly off. What amp are you going straight into and what is the scale length of the mc200? Also what is the distance from the nut to the middle of the middle pickup?
 #154785  by Gr8fulCadi

shadowboxer wrote:Sounds great to me too. Plus you're out there actually doing it. I wouldn't obsess over the equipment, just play your music.
^^^ Most importantly!!!
Your tone is pretty darn good and your up there doing your thang!! Not sure what amp you got, but I dig it. Not many dead projects out my way in Illinois, so, glad your jammin. I have an SMS/mc250 combo sitn in the basement, while I do play it often, nothing better than to be on stage with that rig. As soon as I put that rig together, my band fizzled out, go figure!! Enough of my rant, keep jammin and enjoy!
 #154786  by gratefulredhead

Thanks for the feedback y'all! You are all very kind. It's good to get an outside ear sometimes. And you're right too much obsessing about the tone can be a negative. I need to keep working on my chops first and foremost.

My Ibanez MC200 is a Gibson scale, not Fender, so I'm sure that affects the tone somewhat. Also I'm running into a Twin with all the Alembic Jerry mods (thank you Brad Sarno!) Maybe some day I'll try the pre-amp tap to an MC50, if I can ever afford one. I'd be curious to hear it. I'm running through a vintage JBL K120 that has never been re-coned (lucky ebay score) and a Weber Alnico Cali 12.

I'll measure the distance from nut to middle pup at some point just for kicks. Maybe I'll try turning it around, to see if that has any affect on the tone, since I run it split pretty much 100% of the time.

Gratefully yours,
Stacy
Last edited by gratefulredhead on Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #154789  by kurt eye

You sound great. Very nice job on the vocals as well.
 #154793  by gratefulredhead

Gr8fulCadi wrote:
shadowboxer wrote:Sounds great to me too. Plus you're out there actually doing it. I wouldn't obsess over the equipment, just play your music.
^^^ Most importantly!!!
Your tone is pretty darn good and your up there doing your thang!! Not sure what amp you got, but I dig it. Not many dead projects out my way in Illinois, so, glad your jammin. I have an SMS/mc250 combo sitn in the basement, while I do play it often, nothing better than to be on stage with that rig. As soon as I put that rig together, my band fizzled out, go figure!! Enough of my rant, keep jammin and enjoy!
Thank you for the encouragement. We are trying to start playing in Chicago more. We've had a gig at the Cubby Bear, but looking at other venues, like Martyrs. It's only 4 hours from home!
My amp is a 65 reissue twin that has been completely modded. It used to be a combo but I removed the amp and I put it in a walnut case. All the guts have been upgraded. I really like it.
 #154794  by hippieguy1954

Please don't get me wrong. I've complemented you on a prior occasion and I certainly like your band a lot. Great singing, playing and separation of instruments. I'd go see ya in a flash if you were close! Definitely keep rockin' brother!

PS Yep, the gibson scale.
 #154796  by gratefulredhead

hippieguy1954 wrote:Please don't get me wrong. I've complemented you on a prior occasion and I certainly like your band a lot. Great singing, playing and separation of instruments. I'd go see ya in a flash if you were close! Definitely keep rockin' brother!

PS Yep, the gibson scale.
Oh I don't take any offense! I was asking for honest feedback, and I thank you i'm going to do some measuring and get back to you. Thanks man!
 #154804  by MattMan

Hi Stacy, Nice work!

Tone is definitely Jerryified. You play and sing very well, and band is tight.

For tone, maybe a touch more plate reverb and a touch more brightness?

My new axe is also an modded 1978 MC200 that Leo from ScarletFire Guitars just finished working on. Man that's a heavy axe! My PRS is several pounds lighter, but I do like the sustain of the Ibanez and I'm starting to really like the neck. Given the 24 & 3/4" scale, Leo routed the entire pup cavity so that he could mount the pups so they match Jerry placement from the nut. On the PRS, I left the existing bridge and neck pups and mounted the middle pup in between equidistant, so to match distance from the nut similar to Jerry, I use the bridge side middle coil using an on-on-on mini switch (neck coil-hum-bridge coil). It's quite interesting the difference in tone between the bridge- and neck-side coils!

Keep on Truckin' Stacy!

Cheers, MattMan
 #154805  by jackevorkian

Just a thought/question on pickup location: I always understood that it was not about matching the exact distance from the nut when you go from 25.5 to 24.75 scale length, but landing on the same place with respect to/relative to the string vibration. If you pull the middle pickup towards the bridge on a Gibson scale guitar just to match the nut distance on Fender scale guitar, you are placing the pickup where the string vibration has less sweep...or amplitude if you imagine it graphed out as a sine wave...relative to what the pickup sees on a Fender scale guitar.