#154484  by bcresci

Have been looking for a while at the Blues Junior amps. Needed something I could play at house volumes and take to small gigs without breaking my back. Finally pulled the trigger on a used Blues Junior Tweed - the ones with the Jensen speaker. I am really, really happy with it. The regular Blues Junior sounded a bit muddy to me when I played one at the store, but this Tweed model sounds great. Seems to really sparkle and get some of the missing high end back. Maybe not pure Jerry, but I'm not finding a reason to dislike it. It sound very nice to me. Haven't used any pedals with it yet, but most reviews seem to indicate it handles them pretty well. If anyone is in the market for a low-watt Fender tube amp, this one is worth checking out IMO.
 #154489  by PurpleTrails

How's the headroom? I've been thinking of picking up a blues jr., but from what I've read the tweed ones have a bit less than the standard ones, and I wasn't sure if that's what one would want in a Jerry rig.
 #154499  by bcresci

With the drive down low I haven't noticed an issue. But I'm admittedly not planning on playing with the amp cranked up. We normally mic the amp even in small venues. For how I intend on using it, don't think it's going to be an issue. Larger venues with the amp cranked up - yeah - it's not going to be like playing through a bigger amp with lots of headroom.
 #154505  by franklins_timmy

Was wondering what year your Blues Jr is? I have read all over this board about Blues Jr being good for low watt Jerry tone. Trying to figure out which version gets the closest. I think I have seen on here that the second version with the cream board is better than the earlier one with the green board. Curious about whether the latest version with the sparkle mod is better than the second or if it is too bright? Thanks
 #154506  by bcresci

It's a 2016. And yes, it's pretty bright. I'm finding that my G&L ASAT which is a warmer, more mellow version of a Tele is brighter than with other rigs. When I use my buffered Strat the brightness factor goes up even more. The top E and B stings have a lot of sparkle for sure.

Still trying to dial in all the setting, but finding that I'm upping the mids and lowering the treble to compensate - maybe putting in a small amount of base. It's also forced me to pay attention a bit more to my tone and volume knobs, which historically I just leave somewhere between 9.7 and 10. Rolling the tone and volume back has helped tame the brightness.

For the price, it's a good deal for me. Gives me a nice Fender tube tone with reverb and doesn't break the bank. And since I'm starting to cut myself some slack when it comes to pure Jerry, it's been a nice amp to play through. For a long time I was a bit too stuck on trying to replicate Jerry's sound with equipment, style, and volumes that didn't match his - always close, but no cigar. I have since freed myself from that bondage and am much happier - now just looking for a tone that I like.
 #154508  by franklins_timmy

bcresci thanks so much for the detailed, informative response really appreciate it. I 'm ok with not completely nailing Jerry's tone but would like to get as close as possible/in the ballpark at lower volumes. Thanks again.
 #154532  by PurpleTrails

Used one of the tweed blues jr's tonight trying out a used MIM strat. It sounded really good! I used it right after playing through a twin reverb reissue, and in some ways I liked the tone better on the tweed. Right after that I plugged into a regular blues jr., which sounded very veiled and not nearly as tuneful in comparison.

The tweed has a bit of magic to it, and an extra $70 new over the price of the regular blues jr. gets you about twice as nice sound quality.
 #154547  by franklins_timmy

I mentioned early about how I've seen quite a bit of talk on here about the blues jr being good for Jerry tone. I haven't really found anything about which version does it best. Was wondering if the board would weigh in on which version is best suited for Jerry tone? Have heard the III is very bright, is it too bright for Jerry tone? Would the II be better, etc... Thanks