#154008  by Retro

Hello guys,
along with thinking about the next guitar-project, i want a new amp. An "true" amp. My actual amp is an Orange Micro Crush Pix. It's an 3 Watt Amp with an 4 inch speaker. I already modified it with an cable to an (terrible lookin') extern Speaker. It doesn't sound SO bad, but its an Orange amp. Those are made for crunch and overdrive. But thats the way i don't wanna go. I want an Jerry-Amp. I already fell in love with an Fender Twin, but i won't an at least, i can't pay 1.380 € for an Amp. That's WAY TO MUCH!
Does it matter so much, which amp i choose, or can i only get the Jerry-Tone with an Fender Twin?
I would pay maybe to 400, maybe 500 bucks for an amp.
Any suggestions?

PS: And must it be an tube-amp or can it be an transistor for Jerrys Tone?
 #154009  by bzbz

tube is essential - if you must go solid state, a Roland Jazz Chorus can be done. Fender Blues Junior is a great option, especially if you can feed it out to an external (JBL) speaker....
 #154010  by PurpleTrails

You might try a used fender blues jr. That should be $400 or less in the US. Not sure how much it might run wherever you are. If you can try to get a third generation one.

Someone posted some clips here a while back using a Quilter SS amp that sounded pretty good, though I'm not sure if those are available outside the US, and I think the price is higher than your range.
 #154017  by ski_rick

Another vote for the Fender Blue Jr. I have a JBL E120 in mine. Once I decided on that amp it didn't take long to find a good deal on one on the used market, there are a lot of them out there.

I also recently picked up a JC-77 and I'm loving it. However, I use it for my Bobby rig.
 #154019  by bluesforbuddha

I would look for a used princeton reverb reissue.
It can really do the trick.
 #154023  by Retro

So, i looked around the whole day and i have to say: An tube-amp is always over my budget. I won't spend more money than i earn in one month. If i look after the Roland Jazz Amp, the website won't even load and an used amp on reverb.com isn't so cheap for an not-american, because there are 123 bucks for shipping loaded; forget it. I just started an education and i don't have the money for this. I think, an Fender Mustang III V2 would be very nice. And (of course) i will build a speaker cabinet with 2 or 3 speakers.
 #154024  by franklins_timmy

Retro, you could try finding a Fender Frontman 25r. It's a 25 watt 1x10 solid state but does have a decent fender clean sound with real spring reverb. Have to find one used since they don't make them anymore, $100 or less. Swap out the speaker with something like a Weber California 10 or an Eminence Ragin Cajun and you'll have a pretty nice sounding little amp.
 #154025  by bluesforbuddha

You might want to check out this amp and amp kit manufacturer:

http://ceriatone.com

They have some low cost options.

If your original 400-500 $ range stands, there are options among those listed above, my friend. Cheers
 #154043  by chipperj

Just saw a Fender Blues Jr III for sale on (SLC Music Gear Swap) on FB for $300.
 #154055  by Kaifusha

FWIW, my Hot Rod Deluxe just died, so I was looking for a replacement and really wanting a Fender DRRI for it's cleans without ear splitting volume, since we play smaller places generally. My buddy had a Bugera V22 which I used one gig as a replacement. It sounded so good that I got one of those and have been very pleased. Decent cleans, nice tube compression when it's turned up. I'm thinking it could use a different speaker, but it sounds great when I add the Jensen speaker from my Hot Rod Deluxe as a second speaker. The amp is reviewed as kind of a poor man's Deluxe Reverb, and this seems to fit. I don't have $1200 to spend on a DRRI, but the Bugera is a fine substitute for me until my skill level and finances justify spending more. The Bugera runs $399 new. Good luck in your search!
 #154072  by Retro

I really have to say "thank you" to you. I looked a little bit after some Blues Jrs., but there aren't so many to sell in Germany or even Europe. I found some on the USA, but there also comes the very expensive shipping onto it. I believe, that the Fender Mustang III V.2 is enough for me as beginner. It has many different effects an can simulate many other Amps, also the Twin Reverb '65. If I want, i can play through an Marshall Stack in one little Amp.
By the way, i'm building my own HT-Style-Cabinet with some HiFi-Speakers in it (they will be replaced someday, i promise!). I started today. I believe, on the weekend i can work on.
Once again: Thank you all very much!
 #154076  by PurpleTrails

Mustang III is a fine sounding amp, especially on the blackface setting. Enjoy, and welcome to the board here!
 #154093  by Retro

Thank you very much. You have this amp? What about the Twin Reverb-Setting? Is it useable or only the Blackface works good (for you)?
On the Internet i read, that i can't switch the Speakers, is that true? With switching i mean connecting another speaker. I finally built my Hard Truckers-Style-Cab with some 6"x9" Speakers.
 #154099  by tdcrjeff

Retro wrote:Thank you very much. You have this amp? What about the Twin Reverb-Setting? Is it useable or only the Blackface works good (for you)?
On the Internet i read, that i can't switch the Speakers, is that true? With switching i mean connecting another speaker. I finally built my Hard Truckers-Style-Cab with some 6"x9" Speakers.
It doesn't have a built in jack that allows you to use an external speaker, but you can always just unhook the speaker that is in it and hook up an external speaker using those wires.

Just unhook the spade connectors (black and red wires) from that speaker and hook them to your external speaker. You would need to slice off the spades and add a jack, or maybe spade adapters if you want to keep the Mustang original.

The wires coming from the amp are probably like what's on the left here and the terminal on the speaker something like on the right. So you would need a couple of the things on the right to then wire to your new speaker cabinet.

#154102  by Retro

Thats i wanted to know. On every picture i haven't saw the possibility to make this. Thank you again.
And what about the Twin Reverb-Setting?