#149739  by keirweir

Hey everyone!

Its been a while but wanted to quickly chime in about some gear. I've been playing a Shakedown Twin for about 5 years now and have loved every second of it. On the other hand, I've always wanted a solid sounding reasonably lightweight rack system as a backup and alternate option. I slowly put together 4 space rack unit with a Furman power Conditioner, SMS Jerry Mods, MosValve 962 and am using a Catalinbread Talisman Plate Reverb Pedal (Thanks to Andrew Olsen at AO Guitars for the hookup!).

I really like the SMS and MosValve combo. Its lighter than my Shakedown 135 watt Twin head and is pretty close in tone. I've gigged a couple times with the SMS and have nothing but positive feedback.

For a simple setup where you can easily use a 1x12 or 2x12 you can't go wrong here. Brad was awesome to deal with too!

I posted the second set for tone examples.

#149757  by Staemius

I've been happy with this combination also! I picked up the MosValve after seeing recommendations on the board a few years ago.
 #149759  by TeeJay

Sounds fantastic. Is all the reverb exclusively the Talisman?
 #149769  by Eyesoftheworld

I also like my SMS with Mosvalve 962 combo. I am running through a JBL E-120. I have a twin reverb head but wasn't getting that low Jerry tone I like so much. This combo does.
 #149774  by keirweir

The YouTube video I shared was playing through a 2x12 loaded with Beyma Liberty speakers. I played a gig a couple weeks later in the same room with two drummers but using a single E-120 it was MORE than loud enough.

After reviewing the first minute of this product demo I was sold on the Talisman - I put it right before the amp input so both OBEL and direct have the reverb.

Here's a more intimate representation of the SMS > single E-120 with the Talisman.

#149786  by Staemius

Are those the settings you are using - high gain on the SMS with low output and high presence on the MosValve? Thanks!
 #149794  by keirweir

Staemius wrote:Are those the settings you are using - high gain on the SMS with low output and high presence on the MosValve? Thanks!
Actually the settings in the photo are off a bit (mids and reverb)... SMS gain is high, mids around 2 o'clock, bass off - MosValve you are correct, low output (maybe 2-3 clicks) high presence. Reverb is off as I'm using the Talisman.
 #149816  by TeeJay

If Jer only used spring reverb why does the Talisman plate sound so awesome for jerry tone?
 #149823  by Poor Peter

It would seem that the MosValve is as elusive to find as an MC50 is. Only found a coupe of listings for one and they were both sold.
 #149824  by hippieguy1954

TeeJay wrote:If Jer only used spring reverb why does the Talisman plate sound so awesome for jerry tone?
There are several acceptable reverbs, but when compared with real tube spring reverb, there is a compromise.
 #149853  by Tennessee Jedi

Poor Peter wrote:It would seem that the MosValve is as elusive to find as an MC50 is. Only found a coupe of listings for one and they were both sold.
Keep digging bro
They come up bout once a week on eBay
Bo cheap too
Been using one for a few years now and love it !
 #149862  by keirweir

TeeJay wrote:If Jer only used spring reverb why does the Talisman plate sound so awesome for jerry tone?
I don't think Talisman is related to Jerry tone at all. It offers a nice slow decay reverb which is what I prefer as a guitar player. I would use the Talisman playing David Gilmour or SRV style etc. My Shakedown has a 3 spring reverb tank ( my favorite reverb) which offers a similar long decay. The SMS has decent hall style reverb but its not for me, the Talisman offered something close to my twin with options. Also if you watch the Talisman demo at around 4:30 you can do some weird stuff which I like.

Tennesee Jedi - Your tone in the Let it Grow vid is what pushed me to make a move on the MosValve. :cool:
 #154131  by Gr8fulCadi

I have to agree, the tone of the mosvalve and SMS is pretty darn good. Cause of this thread and Jedi's vids, I also picked up a 962. Although I could not get rid of the scratchy pot issues these are sometimes known for. I worked in a lot of Deoxit, but no luck and returned it. Found a mosvalve 1160 and it's been a great backup to my mc250. Very small footprint too. With the SMS/1160 in a 3U shallow rack and a 1x12, doesn't get easier than that to haul around. I've had it hooked up to the SMS for a few months, and while in my opinion the Mac has it goin on a bit more than the 1160, I have not had the urge to switch back, yet.